Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Crazy Weekend

This weekend was nuts. Craig and I went on a date the same night that my sister and her family came, which meant I spent all day Friday scouring my house and trying to get it as clean as it was before Ryder was born. We also had friends over for Sunday dinner, we watched other people's kids, we attended a sealing at the temple (well, I attended while Craig kept the kids happy outside) and went to our ward's annual Memorial Day picnic. Somewhere in there we also watched oodles of Glee. We devoured another batch of Nutella ice cream, this time sharing it with my in-laws and my sister. And we had some of Missy's Ugly Brownies (heaven!!!). Craig helped another family move. I spent quite a while talking to an old friend visiting the ward, hearing about her impending divorce. Craig taught the third hour of our ward, so I got to hear him teach, something I never get to do! And somewhere in there I also took a two-hour-nap (and I could use another one). The things I didn't do were laundry and dishes, and I feel like I'm paying for it now! We had a lot of fun and I am wrung out from it all.

But here's the thing. A few days ago, I was re-reading all blog posts (I'm not the only one who does that, right?). And I came across the post I wrote about our crazy-busy Christmas season. And as I relived all those memories, it occurred to me that even though I felt very stressed out by it all at the time, I don't really remember the stress any more. I just remember how fun it all was. So this weekend, I tried to not worry about the stress and just enjoy the fun.

So, when Craig decided 15 minutes before I was leaving for the temple to take the kids and come along with me, I just smiled and thought, "Oh, boy! Now I get company in the car!" And then helped him get everyone dressed as fast as we could. It was a bit hectic, but we had a great time. And when Craig was excited to head out to the picnic, even though it was 97 degrees and humid outside and I kind of just wanted to stay home and do some laundry, I put on my happy face and said, "What should we bring to eat?" and we loaded the car as fast as we could. And it was fun watching the kids on the slip-n-slide, even if I was drenched in my own sweat.

So I guess that's yet another one of my goals (I seem to have a lot of them these days): to not let the stress get to me. And to try to enjoy those moments while they're occurring. Because now that I've had a nice cold shower, the sweat seems like a distant memory, but the smiles and laughter part of the memory still feel great.

5 comments:

cms87 said...

You and me both! I think the goal of my life will be to, "not let the stress get to me." It doesn't come naturally for me. It sounds like you were rocking it this weekend though!

delilas said...

I have found that the more I stress the less I get done. My energy is in the stress and not the doing. When I relax and go steady more gets done. Again I am sorry for not calling you about Tuesday Night. Thanks for all you do. love ya, :D

Natalie R. said...

That was a hectic weekend, but oh so fun!!! I'm glad we got to come and visit, it was sure great to get to see you!!

Oneup said...

I want to hear more about this nutella ice cream. Does that really work and come out like real ice cream???

Alanna said...

Anni-- I've got the link there and YES it works! Otherwise I wouldn't have made it twice! But make sure you let it freeze the whole time and don't over-stir when you combine the whipped cream with the nutella mixture, or else your ice cream will be more on the icy side and less on the creamy side! Go try it this week! You'll love it!