Thursday, November 17, 2011

Are You Sure You Aren't Just a Loser?


I'm perfectly happy to admit that I really like the song "Firework" by Katy Perry. (Even better is Lea Michele's version of it on Glee. But now that I'm saying that, I have to go off on a major tangent as I point out that every version of everything is better on Glee. Of the hundreds of songs they have performed so far, only two were not improvements on the original-- U2's "One" and Adele's "Rolling in the Deep." And they still did a great job, I just prefer the original artists' versions. But for everything else, it's Glee all the way. Anyway, back to my actual post...)

But I sort of don't buy the message in "Firework." I mean, the whole point of the song seems to be, "Maybe things suck right now, but when the moment is right, you'll show everyone how awesome you are and it will be okay." And I like that message-- it's inspiring enough for me, considering it came from a pop song. But then I imagine any of the I'm-going-to-live-in-my-parent's-basement-indefinitely-because-I-think-I'm-too-good-for-any-of-the-jobs-I'm-actually-qualified-for (most of whom just finished Occupying some city or other) generation Y type listening to this song and feeling awesome about themselves and I want to turn it off, sit them down, and explain to them that, No, you aren't a firework. Grow up already and do something with your life. Katy Perry was talking about someone else.*

Maybe you should have to prove that you're a productive member of society before being allowed to listen to this song or something.

Anyway, the more I thought about this, the more it hit me that I really know how to take the fun out of a song, don't I?

On a more humorous note, have you seen the Divine Comedy version, "Firebolt?" It's really only for you Harry Potter fans out there. But if you're not a Harry Potter fan, you probably have no business reading my blog, anyway. Check it out! Now!




*Just for the record, if you're reading this, you don't count as one of those people. I promise.

6 comments:

Natalie R. said...

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!! I can't even listen to the real version anymore because Firebolt is so much better!! :0) Samuel knows almost all of the words to Firebolt, it's awesome listening to listen to him singing it. :0)

Laresa said...

B..b..b..but, I'm not a Harry Potter fan! Can I still read?

Nancy said...

I haven't heard either version of this song (I'll resolve that shortly) because I'm anti-Katy Perry and haven't gotten into Glee. I was going to argue with you about all songs on Glee being better until you made an exception for Adele's song... which is one of the few I've heard both versions of and Adele's is hugely superior.
Now, onto the song... Brandon and I have a theory about Generation Y. They're this generation that was taught however you spelled a word was correct, and the generation where you started getting trophies for playing the sport, just playing, not winning or anything. I got a teeny plaque for playing soccer when I was 8. Now everyone gets a trophy. Which is great and all... until their living in their parents' basement because society has falsely led them to believe they're too good for everything.
I hope I made sense. We have a bunch of FB friends from HS that are all "I'm the 99%" and we want to punch them in the nose.

)en said...

But maybe that's what she meant (go out and be productive) when she sang, "make 'em go ah-ah-ah"...?

:D

Natalie R. said...

I just have to say again that I love this song!!! It just puts a big grin on my face. :0)

Patrice said...

I love, love, love the Firebolt song and video! I enjoyed the Glee mashup. One of the best things about my flight was getting to listen to Adele on it-they offer her album as a selection.