Saturday, December 22, 2012

Someone is Lying to Me

You know how those parenting magazines are always telling you to let your toddler help you out around the house?  "Little kids love to help out!" they'll gush, followed up by some testimonial of how some parent rewards their child for doing these chores and everyone is just so happy and pleased with the whole situation.

It's not that they're wrong-- Ryder LOVES to help me fold laundry.  If your definition of "help me fold" is "jump on everything and/or throw it on the floor."  He also loves to help me empty the dishwasher.  This usually just means he hands everything to me.  That wouldn't be too much of a problem except the first thing he grabs are usually the knives.  Or anything made of glass.  So it makes emptying the dishwasher feel like an Olympic race against disaster.  On the plus side, I can get the dishwasher emptied in about three minutes flat.  Possibly less, if I washed a lot of knives that time around.

That isn't the real problem, though.  The real problem is Ryder's perpetually snotty nose.  Which was rounded off nicely this week with a nasty cough.  And since toddlers pretty much love nothing more than rubbing at their snotty noses with their hands (and then wiping those hands anywhere that suits their fancy), the absolute last thing I want is him touching my clean dishes!

So I tend to not be very good about letting Ryder help me.

One of my many failings as a parent for which I am unapologetic. 

And now, I need to go try and wash snot off my throw pillows.

No comments: