Saturday, December 15, 2012

Visiting Santa

For the second year now, our ward Christmas party didn't include Santa coming. Last year I understood how it didn't mesh with the theme of "Breakfast in Jerusalem" very well. But I have no idea why he wasn't here this time-- we have a guy with a great Santa suit who LOVES being Santa, so for crying out loud why are we not making good use of this??? (And for anyone out there arguing that we ought to be focusing on Jesus, I say that there's plenty of room in a kid's heart for ALL of that magic. And a Bah Humbug to you for even suggesting it!)

Anyway. This left us trying to find our own way to get the kids to visit Santa. Which is tough since I despise the local mall and don't want to pay a fortune for a portrait there.  Fortunately, just like last year, a good friend came through for me! This time it was Sarah, who told me that they had a lovely Santa set-up at the Merrifield Nursery nearby AND it was free AND, she said, the Santa was AWESOME. And she was right. We had to wait a little while to see the Big Guy, but that was because he sat and chatted with the kids for a good ten minutes before they bothered to snap any pictures. And it's a good thing he did, because that time breaking the ice was the only reason that Bentley and Ryder were willing to step foot near him.

He was a real pro, though.  When Kendra announced that she wanted a horse for Christmas (!!!), he looked at her seriously and asked if we had a barn for a horse.  She told him it could stay in the house or possibly our shed, but he insisted that those weren't very good options for a horse.  Thank you, Santa.  He smiled at Bentley's suggestion that what Ryder needed was something to put in his mouth that would make him be able to talk.  And when he asked if the kids were getting along and I gave them the sideways glance, he told them that it made Mommy, Santa, and God sad when they were fighting.  They nodded seriously and promised to do better.

All of you in Manassas-- go check out Merrifield Nursery (off of Wellington Road)!  It's definitely worth the wait!



5 comments:

Jen Evans said...

Santa was in Utah visiting people this year. He was bummed he couldn't make it. It's his favorite.

Alanna said...

Well no wonder! I just thought our ward was being lame! I'm glad to hear there was a good reason!!! Tell Santa he was missed!!!!

Emily said...

Oh, Alanna, I love it! What cuties you have, too! Getting SO big! I'm another BIG fan of Santa coming to the ward parties.

Patrice said...

I love the distance that Bentley and Ryder have put between themselves and the guy in red. And, of course, Kendra has no problem sitting on his knee! I am almost crying-it was so fun to get to see the little ones in person!! Glad you found such a good Santa!

Anne said...

So cute! One thing they did in my old ward, which I really liked, was have a breakfast with Santa for the primary kids on a Saturday morning, and then Santa didn't come to the ward party. I thought it was great....