Monday, May 12, 2014

Laws of Unintended Consequences

It seemed like it was getting impossible to change Colton's diaper.  He would wiggle and squirm and kick and push everything off the changing table or try to grab at his dirty diapers...  I didn't know what to do!  He's still way too young to potty train, but each time I had to change him it seemed to get harder.  Days when his diaper was really messy (and possibly leaking) would leave me frantic and frustrated trying to not wind up with poop all over the room and my baby (and possibly myself!).  I didn't seem to remember the other kids being this difficult, and I couldn't figure out a solution.

Then, we just happened to re-arrange the bedrooms (again-- we seem to do this every six months, I think).  And part of the new arrangement meant putting the changing table back in the room with the crib and the bookcase.  And so, with the bookshelves within arms' reach, I began handing Colton books to look at while I changed him.  And he's quite pleasant now!  And then I remembered that this is what I had always done with Ryder.  No wonder we'd never had problems with him!

I had no idea how much I'd been missing that bookcase until it was back in the same room with the changing table!  But I'm glad my kids learn at such a young age that a good book to read makes everything go--ahem-- more smoothly...! 

2 comments:

Patrice said...

Hooray for books!!

Natalie R. said...

Ha ha, that's hilarious! For the record, it never mattered where I changed Caleb, he was a nightmare!! I finally had to put him on the floor, put my feet under his armpits and hold both legs with one hand while wipe him up with the other... He just likes me to know I can do hard things. ;0)