Wednesday, April 15, 2020

COVID Easter

I had warned my kids that we wouldn't be able to dye as many eggs as we have in the past (when I once let them dye a dozen eggs each!).  But then the week before Easter, Costco was back to having their 5 dozen egg pallets!  So we were able to dye plenty* of eggs, which made me and the kids all very happy.  They did five or six eggs each, so we didn't go completely crazy.  But it was still plenty fun.  I don't know what it is about dyeing eggs, but it truly is one of my favorite things to do.

It looks like Bentley is concentrating really hard here, but really he's just adjusting that weird copper scooper tool. 
I promise we actually had fun doing this!  My kids look like I'm torturing them..?!?!




There we go!  Kendra had fun!


Lovely eggs!  My favorite is the one I made (left corner, one from the top)-- I dropped it in red and forgot about it, and then repeated with blue.  For some reason it got all speckled and ended up looking like a galaxy.  Perfect!  

A pyramid of squishmallow pillows!

Easter morning, Craig and I slept in (BLISS!) and then the kids found their Easter baskets.  Craig made pancakes and sausage for everyone, and then we made everyone get dressed and go outside and ride bikes.  We had ulterior motives, we knew a special visitor would be heading our way, and sure enough...

The Easter Bunny came by!  His helpers were riding hoverboards and wearing pink bunny sleepers-- it was great!





After that I showered and got on my church clothes (and makeup!  Remember when we used to put on makeup every day???).  And I had time to make a salad and a batch of funeral potatoes and tidy up the living room while we played the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's recording of Handel's Messiah.  And then, we had Zoom Church with family!
Craig took a picture when we were done


As Zoom meetings are, this was a bit awkward and stilted, but it was still nice to get to see everyone and hear hymns (thanks Mom for playing piano and to the Richards family for doing a special musical number on such short notice!).  So that was lovely!

As soon as that was done I put the potatoes and ham in the oven.  We usually have Easter dinner with Craig's parents (who had also joined us for Zoom church), but we felt that our house was probably a germ fest that we didn't think was a great idea for them to come to, and they didn't seem comfortable with us going to their house, either, so we opted to FaceTime during dinner.  That was awkward-- I don't ever want a camera pointed at me while I'm trying to eat, and the longer it went on, the more Camille felt the need to just shout every thought that came into her head, louder and louder.  Not exactly the quiet family dinner I was hoping for.  But at least they could finally see the kids and have a nice chat with each of them!


It was so weird to not "go" to church on Easter, but I didn't mind that things felt a lot more relaxed than normal.  It actually gave us more time to reflect on the meaning of Easter and then there was still time for the silly fun stuff, too.  It was nice.


*Full confession: I didn't expect Costco to have eggs at all, and certainly not pallets of them, so when I stopped at Target first and they had eggs, I bought 18.  And THEN bought 5 dozen more at Costco.  I came home from that shopping trip with 78 eggs!!!  {Gulp!}  But in our defense, they WILL all get eaten.  So we're not actually being wasteful!

No comments: