Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Myth Debunked

How many of you out there have been told that humans only use 10% (or possibly less) of their brains?

It's not true.

It seems like every now and then I hear that lie and it drives me crazy.

Here are the actual facts in my incredibly non-scientific, no citations whatsoever way, which I think I got from my friend Elizabeth, who is a PhD and studies brains. (If I'm wrong, please correct me, Elizabeth!!!) Some guy forever ago studied rats and they only used a small part of their brains. Then he studied humans and only saw them using a small portion of their brains, too, so he concluded that this was a universal trait. Recently, however, scientists have looked more closely, and it turns out that at any given time we're only using a portion of our brains, but throughout the course of a day, most people use their entire brain. Which makes sense, really-- I don't usually use both hands and feet at the same time. I, personally, cannot talk and listen both at the same time. We're using different parts of our brains to do all the things we do, but the entire organ is being put to good use.

Anyway, I'm tired of people spouting that lie as if the entire human population needs to stop being so lazy and start using this amazing organ that we possess. We ARE, for crying out loud.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now. Thank you, thank you.

4 comments:

Natalie R. said...

Well there you go, I didn't actually know that (though it makes sense). Thank you for correcting me before I continued the lie!!

Tracy said...

Man, they told me I wouldn't need my left side. Grrr....
P.S. I really like the pic of the fam, very cute.

Liz said...

Hey I just saw this! :)

I was mentioning Karl Lashley's work with rats (and probably misrepresenting it). But I found an even better explanation than I'm able to give (on a site geared towards kids, so should be reasonably readable ;)

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

Actually the entire "Neuroscience for Kids" page that UW does is excellent, iffen you want to read more.

Liz

ps: I love the template + family pic! You are so much better at writing consistently than I am!!

Juliana said...

I've tried to explain this to someone a couple years ago--but you did a much better job! I don't think my explanation got past "na-uh. We totally our brains. God wouldn't give us extra. Or at least I use my brain..."