Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Time for Silliness

One of the many points that I really liked in Dennis Prager's Happiness Is a Serious Problem was when he talked about making work fun. In his case, he said that he found the writing process very tedious, and so he would play around with different fonts and colored pens and whatnot to make it more enjoyable.* I'd heard of this before, but not since I had children. Reading it this time around, it really struck me that if anyone is in a position to have fun in their career, it's stay-at-home Moms. Especially when your kids are toddlers.

So I've been on a mission to find and enjoy the silliness in life, rather than focusing on the drudgery of diapers, runny noses, etc. And it turns out that Prager is right! Breakfast time is way more fun when it involves songs and little jigs and my children giving me strange looks. We have a lot more tickling going on now, too, and building forts, and interruptions for story time. And hugs, whether my children like it or not.

Lucky for me, I'm pretty good at being silly.




*Too bad for him he doesn't just get to keep a blog where no one edits your work or even suggests how to make it better-- writing isn't tedious at all when there are no standards to hold yourself to! Of course, that's probably also why I don't get paid to do it... Hmmm...

3 comments:

Juliana said...

How fun! You sound like a fabulous mom! I remember fort-making was one of our favorites. And just when we thought it was falling apart and all of our work was to waste, my mom would crawl in with a bag of clothes pins and help us hold it all together. So much fun!

Jen Evans said...

Making laundry fun: sitting child on the dryer and letting her put the dirty clothes in. It's half the work, and dangerous too!
Making lunch fun: pretending I'm a Costco worker and lunch is a massive free sample.
Making potty training fun: glitter stars.
I still haven't figured out how to make bedtime fun. For myself.

Natalie R. said...

That's a really good reminder, thanks for putting that on your blog! My day is always so much better when I remember to have fun with Samuel instead of just taking care of him.

And, BTW, GO ANGELS!!!