Thursday, February 18, 2010

Almost Live

If we've ever had a conversation that lasted longer than twenty minutes, there's a decent chance that I've brought up a TV show called "Almost Live." It was just a local show in Seattle that specialized in making fun of Seattle. And it was hilarious.

I had the brilliant epiphany today to look it up on YouTube, and lo and behold, I could finally watch it again! So I had to share it with you. This is mostly for my sisters, fellow Seattle-ites, and all the people who have had to listen to me talk about this show. That should be all of you. Now you can experience it for yourself.

It must be your lucky day!

So this first video is my personal favorite, The Ballard Driving School. The thing you have to understand is that Ballard is a small Norwegian town filled with old people, who drive like old people. 'Nuff said.




And then there's East Side Story, which for some reason wouldn't let me embed the video on my blog. If you've ever watched West Side Story and know anything about grunge culture, this is worth checking out!

And don't forget The High-Five'n White Guys (All Right!) here.




And The Lame List. I'm pretty sure that those are members of Pearl Jam in there. Awesome.




This is another one that wouldn't embed, so I'm only giving you the link. This was a whole series, and included Kent and Mercer Island. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Mercer Island video, which was probably the best one. But this one, Cops in Leavenworth, is pretty dang funny, too.

The Streetwalking Lawyers of Aurora Avenue. In these trying economic times, it's never been more prescient. (Notice Bill Nye the Science Guy in the group, before he went on to National Television and all its fame and glory!)




And finally, Speedwalker. If we have ever even once talked about Bill Nye the Science Guy, I can guarantee that I have tried to describe the hilarity of him as Speedwalker. Here's the real deal:




This will never get old for me.

And if it wasn't enough for you, try looking up "Uncle Fran's Musical Forest."

Happy viewing!

5 comments:

Rachael said...

I love these clips! So funny. And much better now that I'm "old enough to watch them". :)

Natalie R. said...

I can't believe you forgot one of the funniest segments - SLUGGY!!!! For anyone who still has a spare three minutes, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJwZRg91ycg

I love those clips, they are so fun!

Natalie R. said...

P.S. From my favorite John Report: "Mariners closing pitcher was so upset with yet again losing the game in the 9th inning, that he returned to his hotel and punched his fist through the window. The sad thing is that he was aiming for the wall."

That's not an exact quote at first, but I definitely remember the "he was aiming for the wall" part. Hilarious!!

Alanna said...

I can't believe I forgot Sluggie, either! That's just plain embarrassing!

There were so many other video clips I wanted to include-- Uncle Fran's Musical Forest, the Worst Girlfriend in the World, and then, of course, all the ones I couldn't find!-- but I figured only my sisters would bother watching the ones I'd already put up, so this was probably enough for now.

Glad you guys enjoyed these!!!

Rachael said...

PS I made Ian watch a couple of these. He enjoyed them, too. :) Good to know that people outside of Seattle can appreciate it as well!