Wednesday, September 5, 2012

...And Seattle, too!

My in-laws arranged for Craig and the kids and I to have a five-day layover in Seattle on our way home from Hawaii.  I've heard enough stories of other people's in-laws who would NEVER share a moment of the vacation they had paid for with the couple's other family to appreciate just how wonderful and generous this was of them.  I was really thankful for the chance to see my parents and my grandma (who is 97½ now, so I suspect my chances to visit with her are limited).  And honestly, I always love being in Seattle.  It is one of the most beautiful places in the world (although Hawaii did show it up a bit.  But Hawaii also made Seattle-- even my hometown of Bainbridge Island!-- look downright affordable, so I guess there's give and take to everything...).  And I'll admit it-- one of my favorite things to do when I'm home is to hit all my favorite restaurants that I grew up eating at-- it's such comfort to eat where you know the menu already!

Anyway, it was nice to go home, even for just a few days.  Being there also helped us adjust to east coast time a little faster, so that was an added bonus!

Moonrise over Seattle.  So lovely!

Mt. Rainier, all pink from the setting sun, with a ferry just visible on the horizon.  This is my Seattle!


And this is sunset on Bainbridge Island.  I got to grow up in such a beautiful place!

Riding the ferry to go visit Grandma!

Here's my Grandma, recovering from her hip replacement surgery.  As my Dad likes to say, "She's a tough old bird!"

Ryder and I test out her wheelchair

Ryder looks to have a promising future in geriatrics!

After visiting Grandma, we went to see the locks, a canal that boats take to get from Lake Washington to the Puget Sound.  Because the water levels are different, they have to sit in the locks while the water is raised or lowered to the proper level.  We watched this sand barge as it came up to our level-- Bentley thought that was pretty cool, hence the champion arms, which I promptly copied!

Grandpa Rex took the kids hiking in the Grand Forest on Bainbridge, which was a fun outdoorsy thing for them to get to do!

And now that I'm posting this, I'm realizing that I didn't take any pictures of my parents the whole time we were there!  Oops!  So just for the record, they WERE there, too, and we had a lovely time visiting them!

Thanks again to my wonderful in-laws for making all of this-- Hawaii AND Seattle-- possible for us!    It's been a summer we will NEVER forget!

5 comments:

Erin said...

You went to see the Locks and didn't stop by to see me?? Okay, I'm sure you were busy enough with visiting family and all. But next time you're out here, let me know so we can get together for lunch or something!

Liz said...

Hah - one of my dad's favorite things to do is sit and watch the weekend sailors try to navigate the locks on a Saturday morning. Hilarity. :)

Glad you got up to Bainbridge for a bit. I seem to manage it only one or twice a year now (and I'm not even that far away!)...

Patrice said...

I know I was there because I took some of those photos! It was great having you visit-I sure appreciate your wonderful in-laws who made the visit possible!!

Vangie said...

Visiting the grandparents is always a fun thing! Seattle looks beautiful! You really did grow up in a beautiful place.

Natalie R. said...

Wow, that post just made me really homesick... I'm glad you got to go and see Seattle in all its glory! I loved your pictures of Mt. Rainier and of the moon over the city. If only I could figure out how to Apparate....