Monday, September 3, 2012

Hawaii: the PCC, Part II

Okay, are you tired of hearing about Hawaii yet?  I promise, the end is in sight!  I think I have about two more posts (this one included), and then one more about Seattle, and we'll get back to my rambling thoughts and not quite so many pictures around here.  So don't give up on me just because I've been boring you to tears all month!

Anyway, I told you that we went back to the Polynesian Cultural Center another day to wander around and experience all the culture stuff.  We still didn't get nearly enough time there-- even with two days we still missed out on a few things that would have been cool.  But by the end of Day 2, we were all pretty hot and exhausted, so it was finally time to call it quits.  But I was glad we got as much time there as we did!  I'll let the pictures do most of the talking here:

Sitting by the river, waiting for the canoe show to start

Each canoe had its own culture that it represented and a color-- I'm a sucker for stuff like that, but it sure made it so pretty!





Learning to throw a spear-- actually I wasn't too bad at it, for my first try!


And learning to weave palm fronds into little fishies!

Kamryn practices her throwing techniques, too

And so does Bentley

Bentley got a warrior tattoo (um, ink stain)

This was so cute-- the whole trip Bentley had been asking to go fishing.  The problem is that I know NOTHING about fishing, so I kept having to tell him No.  Then, we saw this spot at the PCC where people could try fishing, but you had to reserve it ahead of time, so we got turned away.  So sad!  But as we stood there dejectedly for a moment, the guy working there, turned back to us and said in a lowered voice, "If you just stick around a couple minutes, I can probably let them have a quick turn."  Yaaaay!  So we waited, and Bentley got to try fishing.  It was all he'd wanted, and we were all so happy then!

Okay, I usually avoid posting videos.  But this is one I have to share.  Here is Ryder trying out the poi balls Bentley had just bought-- it's only 18 seconds, just watch it!


3 comments:

Liz said...

Hey - how fun!! I remember visiting there when I was like 10 (when my cousins lived in Hawaii). Nice job with the spear-throwing and poi-ball twirling.

This also brings back memories of my sister (and Charlotte Walter + her sister) doing Hawaiian dance on Bainbridge. :)

So glad you got to do/see so many things while you were there!! :o)
Liz

Vangie said...

Ryder IS pretty good at those poi balls! So cute!

I love the canoe show pics! If I ever make it to Hawaii you can help me plan out the to-do/see list!

Natalie R. said...

You know, I'm a professional at poi balls!! I actually still have some from when I was in hula (27 years ago!!). Ryder was quite impressive with them! ;0)

I'm glad that Bentley got to try out some fishing, and how fun to learn to throw spears!!!