Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Busting Out All Over the Place

I'm officially making the switch.  I am busting out the maternity clothes!  I'm not really all that far along (16 weeks according to Babycenter, 17 weeks according to my doctor, who I think is either wrong or else just rounding up in a big way), and I can still fit into plenty of my looser clothes.  Pretty much anything that fit me pre-diet of a year ago is still fair game.  And to be honest, I was kind of proud of myself for that!  Until I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I sat on my bed and realized that I might be "fitting" into those clothes, but that doesn't mean I look good in them.  In fact, I pretty much just looked fat.

So I decided that I'd rather look pregnant than look like I'm letting myself go.  (Not that I don't pretty much just let myself go when I'm pregnant-- but I feel justified in doing so, then!  At least until the gestational diabetes warnings signs start showing up...)

So maternity clothes it is!

And I am totally okay with that.  By now I have a pretty good store of clothes that are cute and comfortable, and I like wearing them.  By the end of the pregnancy they won't convince me that I don't feel the size of a house, but that's the not the clothes' fault.  I still like them, even then.  In fact, I always have a hard time putting them away, because they fit so much better for so much longer than my non-pregnancy clothes.  I always wonder how long you're allowed to wear them, post-partum, before it just becomes pathetic, or-- worse yet-- begging someone to ask if you're already expecting again.


So bring on the belly shirts with ties in the back!  Bring on the stretchy tummy jeans and the loose skirts!  And some day in the next few months, I'm sure I'll even be bringing back the hideous pregnancy muumuu!  (This is a muumuu my Mom bought in Hawaii in the 70s.  Picture the ugliest orange and purple muumuu imaginable.  And I promise you it doesn't even come close to how ugly this thing is!  But nothing could possibly be more comfortable when you feel like a whale waddling around the house!  I'm sorry to say that you will never ever ever ever ever EVER see me wearing it.  But I'm willing to admit that it exists and that I love it.)  Bring it all on-- it's time to start looking pregnant!

THAT'S why I just ate an entire bag of chocolate chips!

4 comments:

Vangie said...

Will you please wear the muumuu one morning for our run? PLEASE?! That would just be a hilarious thing to see at 5:30 in the morning.

Jen Evans said...

I forget you're even pregnant because you are so active and lovely! Also, I discovered yesterday that they sell maternity clothes at Ross, and why did I never know that before?

Alanna said...

Ah, Jen, you're making me blush! Trust me, I'm not so active when Vangie and I do our morning "run" now-- more than ten steps and my bladder is quickly complaining!

Natalie R. said...

Good times!! I'm glad there's such a good stash of maternity clothes now, that makes being pregnant much easier. ;0)