Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Best Laid Plans

After I got out of the shower and dressed this morning, I felt energetic. So I decided to vacuum out my mini-van. It's been needing this ever since we used it to haul junk from the rec room to the dump. Splinters and pieces of carpet pad littered the back. That was really gross. And then with the drive to and from Hershey, the kids had added a layer of goldfish cracker & pretzel crumbs and fruit snacks. Yikes.

So I got everything all ready: I wove the extension cord through the window and carried out the shop vac. I even emptied the shop vac, which is really going above and beyond the call of duty, if you ask me. Before I could actually get started I noticed two things: I was ALREADY covered in dust. And Bentley was crying hysterically because bees kept flying near him. Hm.

I'd done too much to just scrap the whole project, so I let the kids run back inside to the refuge of our home, and proceeded to vacuum away and hope they wouldn't do any serious damage to each other. (I did have the front door open with just the screen door closed, so if there was any major screaming going on, the chances were good I would catch it any time the vacuum was switched off for a moment. I'm not completely neglectful.)

Vacuuming the car is hot and sweaty work, and when you begin covered with dust, it makes for me being a big mess by the time I'm through. Why I had showered before embarking on this chore is a mystery to me. But I finished eventually, and came inside to discover Kendra happily reading a book and Bentley nowhere to be found, but my bedroom door closed. The last time this happened, Bentley was standing on top of my toilet, playing with the sink and splashing water in his hair (at least it was sink water and not toilet water!). It ended with him slipping on all the water he'd spilled and hitting his head on the shower door right when I was going to see what he was up to. So seeing the closed door caused me to dash up the stairs in alarm. The first thing I noticed was that my bed (which I had actually made) was all messed up. No biggie. Where was Bentley, though?

Then my bed began wiggling and kicking. He was under my pillows. No damage done to him, or to my room. Phew.

And now I've showered again. And my car is clean (at least, on the inside; maybe I'll take it to a car wash today?). Now I'm just not sure I can bear to let the kids back in the car...

I think I've earned an afternoon of lazing about and reading for the rest of the day!

3 comments:

Patrice said...

I'm so glad that Bentley was just hiding in the bed! Three year olds can be so creative. Hope you got to enjoy a little laziness and reading as you planned!!

Mary Gray said...

Ha! I got this ambition two weeks ago. Already my car is trashed again. Kids are so messy!!

Glad your kids weren't into anything by the time you came back. I just ended up vaccuuming with my kids inside the car...

Natalie R. said...

Good job getting the car vacuumed! That's pretty impressive, especially since there's a lot more of your car to clean out (meaning your car is way bigger than mine, not that it was that messy). And I'm very glad your kids were being so good while you were working hard. I hope you got the lazy afternoon you were hoping for! :0)