Monday, April 12, 2010

Unexpected

I made another Sunday crock pot meal yesterday, but this one did not turn out well. I'm taking a page from my mother-in-law, and am blaming this on the recipe, not me. I suppose a better cook-- someone who really knows what they're doing in the kitchen, like my friend Anni-- could have looked at the recipe and foreseen that it wouldn't taste very good. But I'm not that good, and I was too intrigued by the use of Kielbasa sausage (yum) to realize that the cabbage (not so yum) would completely overpower it, leaving the entire dish in the "not-so-yum" range.*

So, yes, it wasn't very good. Craig and I both ate the contents of our bowls while quietly agreeing that even though it tasted better than it smelled, we couldn't think of a good reason to ever eat this again.

What was funny, though, was Bentley's reaction to it. Bentley pretty much never eats dinner. He doesn't eat much of anything, actually, despite my best efforts to cram food down his skinny little throat so that people won't wonder why I apparently only feed my daughter while starving my son. (They currently weigh within three pounds of each other!) Anyway. Bentley took a bite and yelled out, "I LIKE IT!" And for the rest of the meal, he kept shouting out, "IT'S YUMMY!" and "IT'S GOOD!"-- stuff like that. In all honesty, it got a little annoying. But he was nothing if not enthusiastic

He ate two bowls of it. It's the most I've ever seen him eat at dinner time.

Weird.




*Anni, however, is practically German, so maybe she would like this recipe because of the cabbage. Do Germans eat a lot more cabbage than Americans or am I just making that up?

3 comments:

Nancy said...

If this recipe also involved potatoes, I've had it. Friends in Kansas invited us over for dinner and it was apparently the husbands favorite meal. It was actually pretty good, but it needs a lot of butter, salt and pepper once it comes out of the crockpot. And lots of sausage, with a little cabbage.
I hate it when I am not happy with the meal, but someone else is, because then they wonder why I never make it again.

Oneup said...

Germans eat pickled cabbage, also known as Sauerkraut. Or Rotkohl. But, Russians...Anni took one look at those ingredients and thought "Clearly this is a Russian dish". Before my mission, I wouldn't have even known what that kind of sausage was, and I wasn't a fan of cabbage. But now? #1-that is the slavic word for cabbage and #2-I firmly believe that cabbage makes anything taste better if used correctly. I'm not quite at Bentley's stage, but Russia definately had an influence on what I will eat and yes, even cook on occasion. When I had a kid who could eat no sodium, potassium or pretty much anything else, the only thing I was left with flavor was, you guessed it...CABBAGE! Cabbage can indeed be a friend when used properly. Or eaten in excessive amounts for months on end. One or the other. But hey, if your finiky kid and my 2 finiky teenagers ate it happily, the rest of us must have missed out on those mutant tastebuds...
Now my cabbage sermon is complete.

Natalie R. said...

There's a recipe in one of our books that just sounds so good, so we tried it and it was incredibly icky. It was so bland, that I swear it had no taste. But the picture looks so good, that I decided I must've done something wrong and I tried it again. Nope, no good, it was just bland and tasteless and not worth eating. Maybe I should send you the recipe to see if Bentley likes it??? ;0)