Saturday, October 30, 2010

A New Love

At my last prenatal check-up, the nurse suggested that I was on the fast track to gestational diabetes, and that I had better cut back on my carbs and sugars. (Interestingly enough, the doctor didn't mention any of this at all. Probably because he was too busy getting an earful as I explained to him why we would NOT be scheduling my c-section at my next appointment. Do these people ever read your charts before seeing you???? But that's a story for a different post.)

Getting diet tips from my sister Leah, who actually had gestational diabetes, confirmed that I'm basically on the Atkins diet. Kill. me. now. According to Leah, I am no longer supposed to eat: bread, pasta, rice, or cereal. Or soup, potatoes, carrots, or peas. Or anything else that I like to eat. And no fruit before lunch time, or something, but don't ask me why.

I will be completely honest and admit that I have not been following these rules as carefully as I should. I justify it by saying that I don't actually have diabetes yet, so surely I'm not required to be as careful as Leah had to be, right? But the real truth is I'm weak. My biggest sin is in eating cereal for breakfast. One morning I was good and scrambled up an egg, complete with tomatoes and cheese. It left me feeling vaguely ill (which is just obnoxious, since I don't get sick when I'm pregnant. Why should I bring morning sickness thundering down on me in my 3rd trimester???). And my kitchen was a mess by the time I was done. It was all too much for me and I went back to my cereal. In a nod towards healthiness, I try to eat the cereals that have some protein and complex carbs, as I'm pretty sure those are better than the Special K and yogurt that I was devouring (and which I had thought was healthy!).

I do better for lunch and dinner. For a few more weeks, I think I can handle the surplus of meat and eggs and watching my family all get to eat the accompanying bread while I salivate. Craig is enjoying getting more meat in his meals AND can make a fabulous omelet, I've discovered. That's been a nice bonus. I'm not so good about resisting the mini-Kitkat bars I bought for Halloween (note that I say I bought them for Halloween, not for the trick-or-treaters; they only get candy that I don't like).

The saving grace in all this has been my newest discovery: peanut butter. Maybe it's just because I overdosed on pb&j sandwiches as a kid, but unless it's mixed in with chocolate ice cream or stuffed inside a Reese's Peanut Butter cup, I really haven't had much use for peanut butter. Until now. Now I can't get enough of it. I sit and eat it by the spoonful and it's always a sad moment when I finally tell myself to stop and put the jar away. Peanut butter is a gooey bliss and happiness, sealed in a plastic jar. It is the saving grace of this diet.

32 days until I'm hoping to meet Lucky. And start eating bread again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eating bread period would be fabulous! I don't think my Dr. fully reads my chart either. I got a call last time from the nurse 45 min. after I left with more instructions. I guess the good thing is he IS going over it after I leave. Only 32 more days! I'm so jealous. Hopefully I'll get to have mine a few weeks after you!

Nancy said...

I LOVE peanut butter. I can't believe you've been ignoring it all this time. I mean... I love it on ice cream and brownies too, but I eat PB&J sandwiches with my kids almost every day. Yum.

Nancy said...

Oh, and you don't want to know this now... but Kit-Kats dipped in peanut butter are fabulous. My diabetic roommate in college introduced me to this.

Oneup said...

So...My hubby-to-be is diabetic and peanut butter is pretty much the absolute worst thing he can eat. It's not that way for all diabetics, but you might want to make sure it's not doing crazy things with your blood sugar before you consume too much. I hate to be a party pooper, but I'd also hate to see you get really sick!

Alanna said...

Thanks for the head's up, Anni, but I'm pretty sure I'm okay on this one. Leah said peanut butter was a great thing for us to be eating because of all the protein. I know there's quite a bit of sugar in there, too, but apparently the protein helps balance it out a lot. I'm sorry Lovie has diabetes, though-- poor guy! Although I'd be willing to bet good money that you can still one-up him in the health problems department!! ;)

Natalie R. said...

If you ever want to enjoy sandwiches again, try PB w/ Nutella. I promise, you'll be in Heaven!!

Oneup said...

If your sister was ok with it, you probably will be, too. For Lovie, it's actually the peanuts that do it. Even the fresh ground stuff from health food stores with no added sugar = =( In fact, any nuts just plain in huge amounts throw his blood sugar out of whack evidently. Topic change: I learned to love peanut butter in the bush. Remember all those days of no protein but the peanut butter in the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? I still don't like it anywhere besides in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all that much, but the lack of protein taught my body to like those sandwiches! (I ate just jelly for at least a week)

Juliana said...

I have a little bit of a fear of peanut butter (it was on a scary do-not eat for a couple years, and I never really got a clear answer if we can be friendly again...), but I do LOVE almond butter. Similar, right? :)

If my (already healthy strict crazy!) has to change dramatically when I am someday pregnant, there is a high possibly that I will cry. A lot...I am impressed with you!

Juliana said...

Oh, PS:

I love that your trick-or-treaters only get the candy you don't like! :) My dad and I were discussing Halloween Candy protocol (this was his first year, in his whole life, that he had to regard picking the candy. I did a little advising.) and he ended up with two LARGE bowls of his two favorite candies. He didn't even mess with the variety packs, he went straight for his favorites. (But then remarkably, only ate ONE piece before asking me if he could freeze any leftover pieces for next year!...)