Monday, October 11, 2010

Random Tidbits

Here are a bunch of random notes, none of which is long enough to merit its own post:

-Our refrigerator was making a worrisome buzzing noise. And I fixed it. I'm pretty proud of myself. It turned out that I had accidentally turned on the ice maker (which we disconnected before we even moved into this house, since the second we turned on the water it leaked a huge puddle all over the kitchen floor). So I turned it back off again and now there is no more buzzing. Mad skills, I'm telling you.

-Last night I dreamed about hanging out at BYU with Craig back when we were engaged. I always love being with Craig, but that time was so magically happy and in-love and Disney-esque-- it was fun to relive it for a few hours. We would run into each other on campus and it was like there was nothing better in the world. Then, in my dream, Craig surprised me by taking me to Burgers Supreme. Boo-ya!

-When Craig was getting ready for work this morning, we heard a pretty loud crash. We froze, listening for a full minute before the expected crying began. Bentley had fallen out of bed in his sleep. Poor guy! What a miserable way to wake up!

-And while I'm talking about sleep and dreams and stuff, after Craig left for work, I went back to sleep again and this time I dreamed that I was screaming at the kids for waking up too early. We're not just talking angry yelling-- we're talking full-throated, I'm going to be hoarse for a week, all-out screaming. When I finally did wake up to Kendra pounding on the door, I was so scared of what I might do to them in my tired state that I managed to keep my voice to a very mellow, library voice. Maybe that dream served as a warning. But it still left me feeling terrible.

-At church yesterday, it seemed like every woman over 50 that I spoke to wanted to tell me how my tummy has really "popped out." Now I will admit, I haven't been to church in my own ward in several weeks-- I was sick, then I was out of town, and then it was General Conference. So maybe if you hadn't seen me in a month, the change is pretty obvious. But still. Really, people? What are you supposed to say to something like that? "Yup-- turns out I'm huge! Thanks for noticing!" I don't get it. If I ever say that to some poor pregnant woman, someone please hit me.

-It's a little disconcerting when the novel you've been enjoying, and which you're 250 pages into, suddenly turns into Hamlet. I just sort of wanted to send an email to the author saying, "Whoa! Where did that come from?" Although I did feel pretty smart for noticing, until I also noticed that on the back of the book, one of the reviewers had mentioned that it had elements of an American Hamlet. So maybe I'm not so smart after all... Nah, I probably am!

-And speaking of Hamlet, has anyone ever pointed out to you that the weird little Canadian flick Strange Brew is also just another version of Hamlet? If you think this is just a coincidence or that I'm reading too much into it, let me just point out that the name of the brewery is, after all, Elsinore Beer. 'Nuff said.

-Did anyone else notice that the cicadas have all died out? It must have happened weeks ago, but it just occurred to me this morning. Funny how they can make so much noise and yet be completely not missed. I sort of wonder how many people out there are like that...

-And finally, a lesson learned this weekend: Crazy busy weekend (including Super Saturday, birthday party, homecoming at Craig's school, and lots of extra meetings for Craig) + me forgetting to take my iron pills = me crashing hard on Sunday. You'd think needing a nap after I showered would have tipped me off, but it wasn't until I had to take another nap after dinner that I realized my mistake. Bad, bad, bad idea. Very bad idea.

That's all for now folks!

7 comments:

Shaun R. said...

What a fun post. I've been having crazy dreams too recently. Memorable ones this week included a dream where I was quite upset that my neighborhood was being overrun by 99cent stores. I also had my recurring nightmare where I am married or engaged to somebody I don't know and can't figure out how it happened. First time I had that dream was when I was in 8th grade. Freud would have a field day.

One last dream story. Your story of your yelling at your kids reminded of me when I was on my mission and had a dream where I got so mad at my companion I punched him in the face. The alarm went off shortly thereafter. He was quite the morning person and awoke with a very chipper "BUENOS DIAS ELDER RUSHFORTH!" For some reason I was still mad at him from the dream and his bubbly greeting made me really want to punch him. Instead I read my scriptures until I felt better.

Shaun R. said...

Sorry. One more dream story. I once had a dream that I was kidnapped by the catholic church and forced to be their pope. I had my cell phone with me but was afraid of getting slapped with roaming charges in the Vatican so I didn't call anybody to come save me. Fortunately we happened upon Santa Claus and the cardinals agreed that he made a much better pope than I did so they let me go.

Alanna said...

Shaun-- these are some GREAT dreams. Even more so because you were a psych major! Which reminds me: did you ever see this graphjams? http://graphjam.com/2010/09/30/funny-graphs-psych-101/

The most I ever studied Freud was as an English major, so maybe I didn't ever fully appreciate the man, but this graph seemed to sum him up pretty well to me!

If you are ever made pope, please please PLEASE can I come see you drive around in the pope-mobile???

Shaun R. said...

Oh that's a good one. Made me laugh. I went into psych thinking I hated freud and then I realized that he's actually responsible for a lot of ideas that we accept as commonplace. Although the idea of the subconscious was not his idea, he certainly popularized it. There are some other ideas like defense mechanisms that are freudian ideas. So I realized I couldn't hate him, but I still don't think we'd be friends.

And if I ever get a pope-mobile, you'll be the first person I call.

Natalie R. said...

1. What book were you reading?
2. Strange Brew is totally Hamlet - we even watched it in my 10th grade English class!
3. I dreamed the other day that my friend came over to adopt Caleb, and I was rather sad about it. It was definitely a huge relief to wake up!!
4. Samuel hasn't fallen out of bed, but he frequently slams into the wall. It never wakes him up, though!
5. Please get me a burger and shake from Burgers Supreme, too!! :0)

Alanna said...

The book was The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, and I enjoyed it. It was pretty funny reading random people's review of it on Goodreads because half of them weren't smart enough to figure out that it was Hamlet, and so they totally didn't get the book AT ALL. Losers.

Juliana said...

I thought of this post yesterday:

At the beginning of the semester, a girl in one of my classes had mentioned she was pregnant--but I couldn't quite tell. (It is can be harder to tell when everyone is sitting down and has desks, I think.) But suddenly yesterday, her baby bump was WAY more obvious. Not just more noticeable since September, but since last week. With your blog in mind, I smiled but did not a say a word about her growing middle. :)