Friday, October 22, 2010

Skinny

*I feel like I should start with a disclaimer-- this is a bit more personal (and less funny) than I usually am on my blog. If you're not in the mood for that, feel free to just skip this post. Or if you think I'm treating serious matters too lightly, I apologize for that, too. I'm afraid this is about as serious as I get in my writing!



I took just enough ballet to absolutely love it, know that I'm not particularly good at it, and completely skew my perception of what my body should look like. I started way too late-- high school and college. No ballerina ever began dancing in high school. But when I was young enough to perhaps (but honestly, probably not) have been molded into a real dancer, I was more interested in learning how to ski. It wasn't until I failed to get a part in the high school musical my junior year that I decided I needed a new hobby and took a beginning ballet class for adults.

When I headed off to BYU, I continued with the ballet and gradually added every ballroom dance class that they offered. Ironically, I made it to the 300-level classes in all but ballet. In the last ballet class I took, I was so happy when my instructor told me and my good friend that we were ready for the 300-level class. But then I went on study abroad instead and couldn't bear the idea of repeating the same 200-level class again in order to get back in shape enough for the next level. So that was the end of my ballet career.

This wasn't a huge loss-- flexibility does not run in my family, and while I was pretty good at most of the dance classes I took (I always came away with an A or an A-), I definitely wasn't anything special. I was never the girl who didn't have to worry about finding a dance partner because she was just so amazing, if you know what I mean.

But yes, all this dancing did severely distort my ideas of what I should weigh. Not my perspective of other people's bodies; just my own. This is one of those things that I mostly just try not to think about too much. I have a pretty good idea of what I should weigh, and as long as I'm in the ballpark, I don't worry too much. (Obviously, when I'm pregnant it's a whole different story. But that's not my point right now.)

But during my first year of graduate school, I got pretty stressed out. I was in a train wreck of a relationship, wherein anything that went wrong was always mysteriously my fault (and worst of all, I always believed it). I was taking classes in a subject I wasn't entirely familiar with (that happens when you switch majors). And I was teaching for the first time. Actually, it was worse than that: not only was I teaching for the first time, I was also simultaneously working and going to school for the first time.

It was a lot to handle. And apparently I dealt with it by not eating.

This was certainly never a conscious decision. I was just too busy, or I was too stressed, or I was too unhappy to bother with food very much. I never noticed or thought about it until other people began noticing. The little sister of the evil boyfriend asked me once if I was starving myself or possibly making myself throw up (she had been bulimic, so she was understandably concerned). Their mother also asked me if I was throwing up. (Fortunately, no. I may have had some issues, but they weren't that deep!) Neither of these observations worried me; I just felt touched that they were so concerned for me.

It wasn't until my oldest sister Leah saw me and began lecturing me on eating properly that I began to think that maybe all these people were right and I was wrong. Not that Leah's lecture did much good-- I don't think I changed anything at that point. But life changes. The bad relationship finally ended and I suddenly found myself dating Craig and happier than I'd ever been before. As I continued taking classes, I got comfortable with my new subject and more confident in my scholarship. I got used to the juggling act of teaching and being a student, and learned to enjoy the combination. And the eating problem resolved itself with no more thought than I had given it in the first place.

But just recently, a friend posted a picture on facebook of me during this skinny time, and I have to admit, I was horrified by how anorexic I looked.
Maybe it's just the angle or the shadow effect or something, but I look like I'm about to disappear. And I think I may have been trying to, at that point in my life.

I'm thankful that I don't feel like I want to disappear any more. I'm thankful that eating is a happy thing for me, that life is full of joy. Much as I occasionally am shocked by just how much weight I can put on while pregnant, I'm also thankful that I'm able to have babies and be healthy and even happy during my pregnancies.

Yes, I'll have a lot of work to do to get this weight off after Lucky makes his/her appearance. But until then, I am darn well going to let my soul delight in fatness.

I might go make brownies.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Not eating is so easy to do when you're busy! After we moved out of temp. housing in Manassas I realized I'd lost some weight (beyond pregnancy weight), but it took Bishop Goodfellow and Gareth's pediatrician saying something as well as almost every pair of pants I owned starting to fall off before I realized there was a problem. Like you, not eating was unintentional; I was so busy with Gareth that I didn't notice if all I had for lunch were a few crackers or a yogurt.

Resolving my eating problem took a bit of thought and several days of completely hating food and feeling sick, but still was easy to fix compared to others. I am definitely grateful that I'm able to enjoy food again and all of the things that are made more enjoyable through enjoying food.

Shaun R. said...

That photo was taken 6 years ago on my 24th birthday. (I'm on the left if you don't know me) And I was skinnier than I am now too. I notice it mostly in my face. I don't think it was not eating that was my issue. I'm just getting older and my metabolism is slowing down. I'm still fairly slender, but I had a sad moment when I went jeans shopping last year and I couldn't fit into my regular size. But then I realized something. My regular size was always hard to find. They have big and tall sections but no tall and lanky sections. I was amazed at how many jeans there were in my new size. It was nice.

Seeing the downward, or rather outward trend I was heading on I recently started with a physical trainer. The goal was not to lose weight but to become more fit and healthy. I just went jean shopping last week and my new size was too big. Funny because my old jeans in that same size still fit. How does that work? Are they make sizes run big to make us feel better about ourselves?

Unknown said...

I think the lesson here is that you should listen to my lectures. :) But seriously, good for you for acknowledging that you were not on a healthy track, and how wonderful that you turned things around! Now I need to go lecture Tracy about her eating habits... (BTW this is Leah obviously and not Brian)

Natalie R. said...

Wow, that's a very telling picture! I'm sure glad that things are less stressful now and that Craig is so great!!

Juliana said...

You wrote this beautifully, Alanna.

I am so delighted that you are happy, happy with Craig, happy with your babies and happy with brownies sometimes, too. That sounds like a happy life indeed.

And I am glad that you look much healthier and happier now, than in that picture. Thank goodness!!

Love you!