Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Allergies

Last spring, when I was pregnant with Ryder, I took claritin (or whatever the generic version of that is called) for my allergies. I know lots of people who refuse to take any medications while pregnant, and I felt sort of guilty for indulging myself, but I thought it was necessary for my sanity. Recently, I've been remembering all this and the guilt was washing over me again. Were the drugs really necessary? Was I just being my typical wimpy-when-sick self? Maybe I should have just gritted my teeth and pushed through it all, sans drugs. Maybe it was all in my head.

That's what I'd been wondering.

Until yesterday.

When I laid on the couch for an hour with a cold washcloth over my eyes. And I showered and scrubbed my eyes clean. Twice. And I didn't wear mascara (gasp!). And I took my claritin and put in my eye drops faithfully.

And despite all my efforts, my eyeballs still itched so badly I wanted to claw them out of my face and dunk them in a bucket of ice water. Without the claritin, maybe I would have.


For being something that is completely non-threatening to my health and which is essentially just my body getting in a fight with itself over some pollen dust in the air, this sure is miserable. I'd show you a picture of my blood-shot, scratchy, mascara-free eyes, but I think it would give you nightmares. Just trust me, it isn't pretty.

8 comments:

Nancy said...

I had an allergic reaction to a pick-your-own asparagus patch when I was early in my pregnancy with Linus and always felt so bad because I had to take a Benedryl to stop the rash and puffy skin and itchy eyes.

Tracy said...

Ouch, sorry. Hope you feel better soon. Yay for drugs! :)

Shaun R. said...

Never move to Texas. Cedar season is miserable. Some your car will be covered in a thick yellow dust from the pollen just by leaving it out for a few hours. MISERABLE. Clartin doesn't work for me. Zyrtec does.

)en said...

Arrggh, that sounds like a nightmare!! "claw them out of my face and dunk them in a bucket of ice water"--- awesome. I will pray to the pollen gods that you will find relief. (<--sacrilege. I don't care)

Also, don't feel guilty. Those fetuses take so much. ;)

ugkuyg said...

So sorry about the allergies! Mine aren't nearly that bad, but I hate the itchy eyes. rrrrr it's so annoying. and painful. hopefully it ends soon!

Natalie R. said...

Well, if nothing else, at least you know that you weren't just being a wuss last year!!! So, does this mean that we're all getting on track for Tracy's five year plan?? ;0)

Nancy said...

I just read that a throat problem I have might be related to milk or possibly wheat allergies! This is almost as bad (to me) as if I found out I was allergic to peanut butter!

Nicole said...

my allergies went NUTS while i was out there. it's amazing how miserable something as simple as pollen can make a person!

(on that note, i'm sorry i didn't come see you while i was there--it was a pretty crazy week and my sister may very well have lost it if i had ditched her, even for a few hours.)