Saturday, April 2, 2011

Somewhere That's Green

When Craig and I bought our home, one of the big selling points for us was the green area behind it. I grew up in the woods, and at the time, you couldn't see any houses from my house. It always made me feel safe and secure. The idea of people so close by, possibly looking in my windows, bothers me. I like my privacy! And I like looking at all those trees and the birds hopping around in them. It's always sad when the leaves fall off and suddenly I can see the houses on the other side of the green area. But then the reverse is true and as soon as those new leaves shoot out, I'm so excited to be able to pretend that there is no one else around again!

Yesterday, as I glanced out the window while changing Ryder, I realized I was seeing orange. A fox! We were able to watch as he climbed around our wood pile and even approached our fence before finally slinking away. This isn't the first time I've seen a fox back there, but this was definitely the best view of one that I've ever had. And then, a few minutes later, I looked again and I could see the little fox on the other side of the creek, and between him and our house, two deer! As if he just couldn't bear to be left out, our groundhog also popped out from under our neighbor's porch.

I feel that I have quite the magical backyard.

6 comments:

Jen Evans said...

Magical!! I want to be included - I saw a small rabbit dart across the road last night. I am 50% sure it was chased by my cat.

Natalie R. said...

That's awesome, how fun! I love having wildlife like that around. :0) We mostly just have squirrels, but they're cute, too.

Here's a funny story - when we first moved to Hershey, I commented to someone that I was surprised by how many hawks there are in this area. She said she had never noticed them, to which I replied I was used to watching for birds because I grew up watching for eagles. She got a confused look on her face and asked, "Did you grow up in Brooklyn??" It was pretty funny, and she was much less perplexed after she realized I was originally from Seattle. ;0)

Rachael said...

I like the reference to Little Shop of Horrors in the title of this blog post. :) About the only wildlife we have around our apartment is feral cats...

Patrice said...

I'm so glad that you have such a beautiful back yard!

Juliana said...

I like magical back yards!

And I agree, woods are always a selling point!

Shaun R. said...

Wow. I am really jealous. Your views beat mine hands down. There was the time I looked out at 1am to see an LAPD helicopter shining a search light in the alley outside my bedroom window because my neighbor was shot out there. Then there's the vacant lot on the other side of the building that collects trash. In front of it we always have at least 1 couch that somebody has left on the side of the road. Behind me is a hostel that is often crowded with people smoking pot and playing their guitars way too loud. But on a nice night when I see the silhouettes of the palm trees that line my street against the Hollywood skyline at sunset, there is something magical about that...but that might just be because of the second hand smoke from the hostel next door.