Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hypocrisy

Artwork by Duncan Long

Last night, I was messing around on the computer while Craig showered when a housefly suddenly started dive bombing me. It was really annoying. I got up and began turning off the lights to go to bed, and I discovered that Craig had left our sliding door open three inches! I guess that explains how the fly got in our house. I have to admit, I was kind of annoyed. I mean, what sort of barbarians are we that we can't shut the door properly? Are we trying to invite the local insect community into our home?

And then this morning, I remembered something.

I remembered that when I got home from taking the kids to the farm last week, I discovered that I had left our front door WIDE OPEN. As in, I don't think it could be open any wider than it was. As in, an open invitation to anyone passing by to come into our house! As in, "Come on in, people and help yourselves to anything you can find! The door is wide open!" And someone had been by, because we had a flier for a new garbage service taped to our screen door. (Apparently he was an honest guy, though, since nothing was missing.) (Thank goodness!)

So I am publicly apologizing to Craig-- who barely batted an eye when I confessed my mistake to him-- for being annoyed about the sliding door. Sorry, Craig. You're a better person than I am.

I guess we can begin working on this whole door-closing-thing together, one step (and one lock) at a time.

5 comments:

Juliana said...

I love this! :)

Maybe its just me (and Jeff), but I feel like I have quite the list of things that I'm working on. There are so many, I even had to divide them into tiers of importance. And because of this, when Jeff says to me "wife, will you please learn to hang your wet towel back on the towel rack, and not on just fling it over the shower curtain rode" and even though I know that it drives him nuts (possibly because he reminds/requests this daily), I'm also afraid, "but if I remember to put my wet towel back, then I'll forget something really important. Like picking you up from the bus. Or going to that meeting. Or writing that thing."

Pretty much, I think my brain is set on a one-in to one-out function. And I think there is a waiting list for something to actually hit the top of what I can actively learn next.

Juliana said...

And by rode, I meant rod. See, tiers of importance. Obviously spelling hasn't made it every high either! :)

Rachael said...

This is pretty funny! Glad the person who stopped by was honest, and that you and Craig can laugh about these things. :)

Natalie R. said...

Oh man, that's crazy! I'm glad the fly was the only unwanted thing that entered your house!

Nicole said...

ha.

only marginally related: i hate it when bugs come into my home. HATE IT. i feel like i'm being invaded by some kind of sinister foreign army. (yes, i am a little bit nuts.) that said, though, when i'm outside, i never kill bugs. their turf and all that.