Friday, April 29, 2011

And now, a rant.

Okay. Forgive me while I get up on my soapbox for a moment here.

Is it just me, or are more and more people getting really intolerant of completely stupid things these days?

There's a lot of really bad, immoral stuff going on in our world today (none of which will be discussed here). And for the majority of it, I am told that I need to put up with it all or else I am a terrible and judgmental person, the quintessential holier-than-thou, intolerant Christian. And whether I agree with it or not, I try my best to follow these new social norms and not express my disapproval.

But mention that you don't breastfeed and then watch the judgments come pouring down over you.

In the last month, I have read a blog post that explained to me that if I had my son circumcised, it was because I thought he was born deformed. A friend of mine mentioned that she attended a book club only to be told by one of its members that all fiction was "worthless." Another blog post told me that if I was just brave and open-minded enough, I should be able to really enjoy a terribly crass and vulgar Broadway show that mocks my religion (the blog post didn't explain what I should do if I simply hate vulgarity-- apparently that's my own problem to work through). A facebook post told me that if I didn't keep my baby in a rear-facing carseat until he was two years old, it's because I was more worried about my time than my baby's safety and clearly did not deserve to be a parent at all. I'm also a bad parent for preferring the sleep training tactics in the book On Becoming Babywise to Dr. Sears' ideas of attachment parenting in The Baby Book. And while I'm discussing my parenting flaws, I've also learned that I'm a prude who is embarrassed of my body since I like to cover up while nursing, and don't bother to post pictures (or even take them, for that matter) on facebook of the tender moment.

And here is my big problem with all this: WHY DO YOU CARE? Of all the important things that need to be changed in the world, you're going to spend all your time campaigning for that? Really? At least when I was a missionary and trying to change people, I was trying to save their souls. Not their foreskins. Unless I'm endangering myself or my children (physically or emotionally), I don't think you need to make it your life's work to change me. Go spend that energy volunteering for the Red Cross or something.

Maybe you only like to read self-help books. That's great! Good for you! But don't tell me that the books I enjoy are worthless. Just because you don't value them doesn't mean they don't have value. (And in return, I will try my hardest to not tell you that I would rather die than read most self-help books...)

Maybe you think circumcision is a miserable, barbarian custom that needs to be done away with. Fine. But that doesn't mean you need to make it your life goal to tell me I'm a bad person for choosing that option. Really. You don't need to do that. Because I'm pretty sure that in the long run, it doesn't matter.

Maybe you are convinced that more women need to give birth naturally. That may be true. But telling someone who just had a c-section that the only reason for her surgery was because her doctor is a greedy pig isn't helping her. It's just making her feel bad. And no brand new mother needs you to make her feel bad. Rather than doing that, try bringing her a casserole instead. THAT'S something she could probably use! (I'm weird here, because I have given birth naturally and I loved it, but the people who run around trying to tell everyone else they should do it too drive me bonkers. I sort of hate putting myself in their camp!)

I have several friends who have not been able to nurse their babies (all for different reasons). Please don't tell them that breastmilk is better than formula for their babies. When they begin mixing up formula for their baby, don't stare at them in horror and tell them you "thought" they were good mothers until now (true story). Don't tell them that the reason people don't breastfeed is simply because they're too lazy to get up in the middle of the night (another true story). Every single one of these people tried breastfeeding and it didn't work. Breastmilk is no longer an option! Which means what she has left to try is formula or letting her child starve! Do you really think formula is worse than starvation? And honestly, even if they didn't attempt to breastfeed at all, it's still none of your business! Nearly an entire generation of women refused to breastfeed their kids and nothing worse than allergies has ever been linked to that movement. Heck, I have allergies and I was breastfed! Really. If the worst thing we, as mothers, ever do to our children is feeding them formula, I think we should all be given medals.

And while I'm ranting about nursing, I have to also say that if you don't want to wear a cover while you nurse your baby, that's fine. While I know plenty of people who are uncomfortable with that, I don't happen to be one of them, so I don't particularly care. But don't tell me about your lack of a cover as though this makes you a better mother than me. It doesn't. I'm certain that being covered while eating has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether or not your child or mine will be accepted to Harvard some day.


All right. I need to stop and let my blood pressure drop back down into a healthy range again.

I realize I'm mostly focusing on parenting stuff. I also realize that I'm beginning to sound like a loony and that none of you who read my blog are guilty of this. But this was the only place I could think of to get this out of my system.

So my final plea:

If you feel strongly about something, I'm fine with you explaining your views to me. I'll probably even be genuinely interested to hear your take on things. I like learning new stuff. But when you just attack me for not seeing things the way you do, it doesn't help your cause at all. It just leads to me stubbornly digging in my heels against your cause, possibly being offended, and even more possibly not liking you very much any more.

Is that really what you're trying to accomplish?

Let's try to be tolerant of the little things in life that don't matter. Because the truth is, most of them really don't matter that much.

9 comments:

Juliana said...

AMEN.

This was fantastic, Alanna. I love the occasional intelligent, direct rant. I completely agree with everything. Thank you! :)

Erin said...

Parenting is an especially tricky area as the "best" things to do go back and forth constantly. I had someone audibly gasp when they found out I was induced and say, "I would NEVER do that!". Um, okay, that's great. Wasn't a big deal in my case. I'm all for advocating that women should be able to breastfeed, uncovered, in public, but that doesn't mean I (or most others I've come across) think it's bad for someone to prefer to cover themselves.

I try to remember that most people recognize how ridiculous it is to sit in judgment of one another for whether we breastfeed or not or for what plays we are interested in seeing - it's just the extreme ends tend to scream the loudest.

Sorry, I'm thinking through this as I write. Just a word of compassion for those you're ranting against. Some of them may be fairly new to their views. I just thought of when I struggled so much after having Gareth and rediscovered feminism. For a little while I swung a bit extreme in my thinking, feeling that ALL women must dislike motherhood as much as me, hate being SAHMs, etc. I am embarrassed to admit that I ever had such feelings. And, thankfully, after some of the pain and hurt I'd experienced subsided I was able to think rationally again and recognize that some women truly love motherhood and being SAHMs and that that's just fine and that what I really wanted to support was women and men doing whatever they find most fulfilling. Not all those you're referencing fall into such a category, but it might help a bit to remember that some of them are probably like I was - fairly new to their views, over-eager about them, and haven't entirely thought through them yet.

Alanna said...

Erin-- I would love to hear about that struggle you had adjusting to life as a SAHM and how you are making it work for you. I love being a SAHM, but there are definitely days when I wonder why I'm doing it (I felt the same way when I was teaching, though, so I never worry about those days too much). I recall feeling REALLY shell-shocked by it all when Bentley was first born, and calling Craig every afternoon at 2:15 begging him to come home!

If you ever have a minute, would you blog about your feelings about the whole thing? I would really enjoy your perspective and hearing your story!

Erin said...

I'll try, but it might be a while in coming. It gets a little complicated....but I'll definitely work on it, I promise!

Anna said...

Alanna, thank you for this. I've been a total lurker on all the blogs I read but I have to comment and say that I've been having very similar thoughts lately (I wonder why? (: ). I like learning new things about issues people are passionate about but the truth is that NOTHING is so black-and-white, one-size-fits-all in everything for everyone and not everyone has the same amount of information to make base their decisions on. I really think the majority of the time, people *are* trying to do and be the best they can with what they know at the time.

I've been dealing with some heavy, heavy guilt over my lack of breastfeeding (I think my body is really done now) and I'm really sad about it. I'm sad b/c I'll miss it a lot. I feel guilt b/c I just feel like a 'failure.' But then I think about everything I did to try to make it work and you what, I have a clear conscience. I read a comment recently where someone was saying how they get "soooo sad and even sometimes mad" when they see people, both ones they know and total strangers, feeding formula to their babies. What the?! How can someone be so narrow-minded and judgmental, as if every single formula-feeding mom out there is lazy and/or ignorant and surely could breastfeed until the baby is two if they just tried hard enough? It *almost* makes me wish someone would confront me on the matter in such a condescending way just so *I* could do some educating but that probably wouldn't be a pleasant encounter. And now I've ranted on your rant. :)

I think while some people may have more information on certain things than others do, no one is so smart and all-knowing to the point of being allowed to administer a guilt trip or "good parent/bad parent" judgement on someone else just because one sees something one doesn't agree with. Have your opinions but have with them some tolerance, compassion, and understanding, too.

Alanna said...

I'm glad you like this, Anna-- I must admit that a lot of my anger is on behalf of you and Sarah and everyone else I know who worked so hard to breastfeed! I have SO much respect for you guys! That person who gets angry when she sees someone giving formula to her babies needs to open her eyes a little to the world around her!

Nancy said...

Personally, I hate breastfeeding so I love seeing mom's feed their babies formula. It means I'm not with the bottles. With Linus, it was actually a relief that I had to fortify my breastmilk with formula for him. I got to pump and add formula powder to it and it was SO MUCH better, FOR ME, than breastfeeding.

)en said...

I think it all comes down to just keeping our judgy thoughts to ourselves & trying to be a bit more understanding. It isn't our job to judge others on anything, even if they don't have a "good reason" for doing what they do. As if people need even to feel more guilt regarding their parenting methods/decisions. Boo.

good post!

Nicole said...

i agree. it's funny, because i actually got used to people judging me for being 28 and childless (i didn't wear an "i'm infertile" sign around my neck) but when i finally got pregnant, i assumed everything would be smooth sailing. then i had to have a c-section and my baby refused to breastfeed after three months, and the legions of crazy "natural" moms came crashing down on my head. i can't help but wonder what is worse for a kid--to be fed formula or to be taught that people who make different choices are inherently bad. hmmm.