Sunday, August 27, 2017

An Exciting Week

Wednesday was the first day of school!  We've been attending open houses and everyone has been getting very excited for this day (so no, not just me!).  Kendra was keeping a countdown going, and had written "Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay!" all over the chalkboard.  Ryder was giddy when we went back to school to meet his teachers.  Bentley has been nervous, but overall also very excited at the prospect of starting middle school.


6th grader, 4th grader, and 1st grader.  Ryder was beyond excited to wear his new minion hat...

Bentley is in his socks still because his bus comes later.  Ryder is trying to look like the palest thug ever...

And this is the cutest picture ever

I sent them all off (I made Bentley use his extra 40 minutes to practice piano-- YES!) and then just prayed that they would have good days.  I also texted Craig a lot, because he was the only one I could check in with. 

They all came home smiling, so I guess that's about as much as one could hope for!  I'm excited for another school year-- I've been really happy with my kids' schools so far, and I hope that will continue!



Unfortunately this week, we also had one major problem...

It all started Monday night when Craig looked at the thermostat and said, "Why is it 81 degrees in here when it's not supposed to go above 78???"  He began poking around and determined that our air conditioner was not working.  At all.  I had a guy come out the next morning and he found several broken things (including leaks in our indoor unit) and confirmed that our HVAC unit needed to be replaced.  This was not how we were hoping to spend the money we'd made selling the mini-van.  But even though school has started, summer weather is far from over here.  And it's not like we won't need heat in the winter, either...

So this coming Thursday, I'll be getting a new HVAC.  And in the meantime, we've got two huge air conditioners set up in our bedroom and the girls' room (which gets the hottest).  And I've got a lot of ants invading my house, probably helped by all the windows we've got open.

I shouldn't complain too much, though-- Tuesday was miserably hot, but since then it's cooled down quite a bit and with the windows open it's pleasant for most of the day, until about 4pm.  It even got a bit chilly at night, which seemed rather delicious.  And I'm using this as an excuse to barely cook at all.  (It's too hot to turn on the oven or boil water?  Then I guess we'll just have to eat Eggo Waffles!)

1 comment:

Natalie R. said...

So exciting to start a new year of school!! Our first day is tomorrow, and Samuel's official first day is next Tuesday. So fun! I love the pictures, and I sure hope you get a new A/C very soon!!!