Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Stupid Reasons for Unimportant Decisions

So after much deliberation, I've decided to let my hair grow long again.  I've really liked my short hair, and my reasons for going back to long hair are actually really stupid.  But I'm okay with that.


Reason #1. Ponytails.  When you're in a rush and you can't be bothered to style your hair, NOTHING beats the ponytail.  I realize that some people have hair with its own natural body and short hair does not require any or much styling, but alas, that is not the case with me.  If I want to not be embarrassed by my hair, I absolutely MUST blow dry it and usually curl it, too.  And that's a lot of work for every single day.  (Even once it's long I'll still do this most days.  Because my hair really is that lame.)

The irony here is that my hair usually looks pretty good when I first wake up.  No showering necessary!  But just because my hair looks all right, doesn't mean the rest of me doesn't want a shower.  So I end up re-styling my hair even though it looked fine!


Reason #2. It's cheaper.  When you go from cutting your hair once a year to cutting it every month, suddenly you're spending twelve times what you used to spend on hair care!  I know getting a monthly haircut isn't exactly excessive, but when I do the math, it feels excessive.  I'm a cheapskate.  Sorry.  (I seriously considered putting some pink highlights into my hair, until I figured out the cost and how quickly they'd probably wash out.  Not worth it.  Although I love it when other people put fun colors in their hair!)


Reason #3. I hate the process of getting a haircut.  This is probably the lamest reason ever, but there you go.  I hate making an appointment.  I hate trying to decide if I care enough to request the same person or gamble on someone else doing the cutting.  I hate trying to explain what I want done (because what I REALLY want is for them to magically make my hair thick and curly-- but it turns out that these poor women are NOT miracle workers).  I don't mind making small talk while they snip away, but it's not something I really look forward to, either.  I hate trying to figure out a reasonable tip afterwards.  And I hate hate hate that I'm never really quite sure what I'm going to be charged for my haircut-- did those 30 seconds of running a blow dryer across my head count as "styling" and now it's going to cost an extra $8?  (Because-- see Reason #2 again-- I'm cheap!!!)  And then do I need to tip on that extra money that I didn't even know I was spending, also???  (YES, this has happened to me.  Many times.  Can you tell I've been traumatized by it???)

I realize that an overall dislike of the haircut process is a bit childish and stupid.  But there are plenty of people who never leave their homes because of fears similar to this.  If my biggest fear means for now I only go to the hair salon once a year, I don't really care.


So, yes, long hair is on the horizon.  For now.  Until I change my mind again!

3 comments:

ugkuyg said...

I think your hair is adorable short, but amen to all your reasons for growing it out. I hate getting hair cuts for all the same reasons - the scheduling, deciding who to go to, making small talk, the awkwardness of tipping, ugh. I go the low-maintenance route and get mine cut probably every 9 months!

Erin said...

Some of these are reasons I haven't tried short hair. I barely manage to make it in every 9-12 months right now as it is. The likelihood that I'll go in monthly to maintain a short cut is pretty small. Also, I'm terrible at visualizing how I'd actually look with short hair/if it'd be a good look for me. In my head, it would be easier to maintain and so nice when not in my way on a hot day working in the yard. But I'm not sure that would be reality.

)en said...

I support your decision. The upkeep is real- and also why I love me the Great Clips, but I also have thick textured hair. I can even cut it myself and constantly do so and you can never tell (is this a brag?) so I get it. I get it. 😌 Thanks for letting us know. I seriously love hearing about people's hair journeys. I will say one thing though: shower cap, man! Good hair = still good. Body = clean! Ok that's all. 🙌🏼