Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Crabtree Falls

Last Friday I led my workout group again.  It was slightly less scary than the first time.  I actually used my timer app with mixed results.  I tried to add in an extra rest, but the timer thought it was an exercise, so it cushioned it with two more rests, so after each set we'd have a 10-second rest, followed by a 30-second rest, followed by another 10-second rest.  So that was on the excessive and ridiculous side of things.  Also, I'd put in the names of the exercises for the first set, but hadn't bothered with the rest since the times were all being repeated, but with different activities.  I hadn't realized that the timer would announce each exercise as we went along!  So it was great for the first set, but a little confusing after that!  Oh, well.  We figured it out.  People complained about being sore afterwards.  That's all I really ask for!

This is a terrible picture, but who cares?  I made us listen to Six: The Musical as we worked out, so that was extra fun, and nice that Delegate, our history teacher, was there to appreciate it with me!

I had just enough time for a quick nap after that, but then I had to run around getting us out the door so we could hike Crabtree Falls!


This trail is only 1.7 miles to the top, but since you're going uphill that whole time, it's a bit of work.  It's all switchbacks along the waterfall, though, so you get to see different gorgeous views all along the way, so you can always catch your breath and enjoy the view!  The only real problem we encountered was that the higher we got, the more ice there was on the trail!  Finally, near the top, there were a couple spots where the whole path was covered in thick, slippery ice.  Camille got scared and refused to go any further, so I waited with her while Adam took the rest of the kids all the way to the top.  As they were heading back towards us, right at the spot that had spooked Camille, Colton slipped and bonked his forehead on the ice!  I felt so bad for him-- I could tell that it really hurt, but he was determined to not cry in front of Sydney, so I just watched as he swallowed it all back.  Poor kid!  I had to admire how tough he was, though!

I woke Ryder up and told him to eat breakfast before our hike, so he ate and got back in bed without getting dressed!  By the time I realized this, it was time to go.  So he hiked in his pajamas.

For a few minutes, it was warm enough to take off my jacket!

Going back down was actually less enjoyable-- it was nice not being winded, but I always worry about my knees going downhill, and all that ice seemed WAY MORE slippery now!  So we took it very slowly and cautiously and there were no more falls!


And we got back five minutes before piano lessons, so I consider that to be a raging success!

We'll definitely have to do it again in the summer, though!  I heard it can be terribly muddy, but maybe that's preferable to the ice?  Maybe?

No comments: