Monday, November 8, 2010

Baby Names

At the end of family home evening tonight, Craig decided to ask the kids what they thought we should name the baby. Bentley never came up with anything. I think he was stumped by the whole "we don't know what we're having so how can we come up with a name" issue. I admit, this occasionally plagues me, too. Mostly because I don't want to get too attached to a name in case the baby isn't even that particular gender.

Kendra came up with two options. The first was Aya, which I have at least heard of, but probably wouldn't be my first choice. First of all, we're not even a little bit Japanese (despite my username often being "Alanna-chan" and my brother-in-law who is a quarter Japanese. It still doesn't count for Lucky's gene pool at all). And also because it makes me think of The Secret Garden, where I'm pretty sure that was what Mary called her servant in India. But the real kicker is that the kids already have a cousin named Maya, so that's just asking for confusion!

But I loved Kendra's other idea for a name: Ikea.

Now we're talking!

4 comments:

Jen Evans said...

You have to admit, everyone would love that baby. Possible nicknames: Kea (kee-ya), Ki-ki, Ike. It's perfect.

Nancy said...

I'm with Jen... I like Kiki as a nickname. :)

I have a niece named Emma that is 3 or 4 years older than Ella. This has been a huge confusing thing for my mom. She never gets Ella's name right. So, learn from my mistakes and don't name your baby Aya. Maybe names are just confusing to grandparents and great grandparents in general because Brandon's grandma always calls Ella "Ellen" (who was Brandon's OTHER grandma) even though Ella's full name is Elisabeth.

Maybe you should just pick a trans-gender name like Kelly or Payton. :)

Natalie R. said...

I always like La-a (lah-dash-ah), and I bet it could work for either a boy or a girl!!!

You can have Ikea and then someday Leah can have Asia - pretty sweet, huh??

Names are pretty tough to come up with. Good luck trying to figure it out!!!

Shaun R. said...

It's better than the family home evening that my parents had before I was born. My brother wanted to name me Chicken Steven. Steven being my middle name.