Sunday, November 21, 2010

So Disgusted

Okay, everyone.

Sorry to be serious on you, but all this TSA stuff is completely freaking me out. I was already pretty upset by it, and then I heard about the little boy in Salt Lake being strip searched (that's a video link, by the way, and just the idea of it upset me so much that I didn't actually watch it, and I'm not recommending you watch it, either. I'm just giving you my sources. The video description link pretty much explains it all). Just thinking about how I would react if some TSA worker-- who could very well be a pedophile for all I know-- tried to strip search my son makes me want to throw up. I would be fighting so hard against such an invasion of my son's privacy that I would probably wind up getting arrested.

And what makes these new policies all the worse is the complete feeling of helplessness to do anything about this. Napolitano was appointed to her position, so it's not like I can vote against her, and no high ranking government official is going to be subjected to these standards, so I don't think they care about how pointless and invasive this new practice is.

I'm asking you-- really asking you-- how are we supposed to fight against this? I'm willing to do something, but I have no idea where to begin. Protests at the airport? Letters to Congressmen? WHAT???

Tell me. What can we do to stop this?

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm not an any financial position to fly across the country right now (or anytime soon) from DC to California where ALL of my family lives. But now I'm thinking I never want to. And I'm not driving. So, basically, for me, transportation-wise, our country just took about a 100 year set-back. What's even more shocking is that the airlines are totally letting the government do it, angering THEIR customers.

)en said...

I don't know, but if there was ever a cause I would stand up to fight for, it is THIS. HELLS YEAH I'M IN.

Erin said...

I don't know if it'll do much, but my sister was writing/phoning her congresspeople. It's got to be worthwhile to at least let them know that we're not just going to roll over and take it.

EmmaJ said...

I saw the video on the news and I was outraged! How are you supposed to fly with children with this new screening in place? I don't think we'll be flying anywhere for a while any way.

Anna said...

I'm really upset about it, too. I don't want to drive across the country but any tentative plans to fly have been put on the back burner indefinitely, until this whole mess is brought under some sort of control. It makes me mad, even madder that a lot of people are so willing to roll over and don't mind their privacy being taken away.

Laresa said...

I have a wad of titanium in my chest and I have no idea what radiation will do to it! Grrr. I don't know what we CAN do and I'm right on the frustrated boat with you.