Thursday, March 7, 2013

Heirloom. Of Sorts.

I blogged once about a muumuu I like to wear when I'm pregnant.  And I like to pride myself that I'm fairly honest with you readers on this blog.  But looking back, I see that I wasn't.  Because at the time I did describe a muumuu that I like to wear.  But the one I described for you (awkward combination of sky blue and lime green) is the one I wear during my second trimester.  The truth is that, for my third trimester, I move on to an older, even MORE hideous muumuu!  I bet you didn't even know such a thing was possible!

This one started out royal blue with bright orange and yellow.  But the blue has faded to purple, especially over my entire, massive tummy area.  And it is a TENT.  Long flowing sleeves, body, everything.  It's huge.  And comfortable.  It's so light (partly because the material is naturally flimsy, partly because it's so old and worn thin) that it practically floats along with me wherever I go.  I'm afraid each time I wash it, because I worry it will just dissolve in the washing machine.

But oh, I love my muumuu.  Even if I find it totally embarrassing and only allow immediate family members to see me in it.  (Yes, I have run and hid when I was wearing it and someone showed up at the door unexpected!)  (It's completely normal to love something and still be ashamed of it, right?  ...Right?)

Anyway.  I found out this week that this thing is something of an heirloom in my family now!  I always thought my Mom bought it in the 70s ('nuff said, right?), but she said it actually belonged to my Grandmother first, who then bestowed it on my Mom when she was pregnant.  My Mom said she thought it was ugly even then, but too comfortable to not enjoy.  When she saw me wearing it and noted its faded state, the first words out of her mouth were, "Wow, it's even uglier than before!"

Yes.  Yes, it is.  But that hasn't stopped me from loving it!

And now, knowing even more of its history, it just makes me laugh.  Some people inherit fine china and jewelry from their grandparents.  In my family, we bequeath muumuus!  What a legacy!

No comments: