Monday, August 9, 2010

Dreams

I should be asking someone their permission for using this cartoon. My apologies to Ron Morgan for being too lazy. I like his cartoon, for what it's worth.

I'm not using this cartoon in reference to any of my beliefs-- political, religious, or environmental. No. Nothing like that. I'm using this in reference to the seemingly never-ending project that is our basement. (And I'm praying that I'm not jinxing our luck by even writing about it this early.) But I think the end is indeed near.

We've got people coming to measure for carpet today. (True to form, the guy was supposed to be here two hours ago but I'm going to bite my tongue and not rant about how frustrated I am about that. In true passive-aggressive form I'm trying to decide between forcing the poor sap to listen to Glee or opera the entire time he's here, if he ever shows up...)

All the drywall is up. All the drywall we care about for this project is spackled and sanded, three times over. The big room is all painted. Both new windows are in. Trim still needs to be added to the smaller of the two. One of the two closets is assembled, and it didn't take Craig very long to do, so the second should be even faster. The plan is to order carpet today, and then we should be able to finish up all these other things before the carpet is ready to be laid. Our house will be turned upside down once more while we move everything out of the rooms-to-be-carpeted, but that should just be for a couple days. Three at the most. And since Craig always helps everyone move, I'm hopeful that it shouldn't be too hard to get a few men in the ward to help him move the heavy stuff. I did manage to help him carry our couch upstairs back in February, but I wasn't pregnant then. I think this time around I'm justified in playing the pregnancy card and leaving that work to the men. Right? I'll do my part and order a pizza for them.

I'm beginning to really savor the idea of having it finished: Not having to wear shoes just to go downstairs. Having carpet (and NEW carpet! of my own choosing! imagine such luxuries!) underfoot, rather than cement flooring that is littered with nails, spackle, dust, and pieces of drywall and 2x4s. Being able to do laundry without having to first move all of Craig's tools off the washer and dryer. Same thing for getting into my freezer. Putting my big bathmat back on the floor of the laundry area so that if I happen to drop something on the ground, it will stay clean, rather than being sent right back to the laundry hamper in worse shape than it was to begin with. Not having all of the kids' toys stored in my living room. Not having dusty footprints all over the rest of the house because I'm the only one who knows to leave her shoes on the stairs (I guess Japan trained me well for stuff like that).

Actually, the idea of a living room that stays somewhat clean is looming larger and larger in my mind. It sounds so incredibly wonderful. Putting the TV back downstairs where it belongs. Taking all the extra furniture out of the extra bedroom and scattering it around to the rest of the house. Getting to cuddle with Craig in the love sac while we watch TV again. Not having a couch in my kitchen, which would ALSO mean that I can open all my cupboards again (only one has been blocked, and it's not one I use very often. But still).

I'm getting really, really excited for this project to be over.

The end is near.

And the carpet guy just showed up. Time to put on some Aida!

2 comments:

)en said...

Wow, reading this made me want to live in your basement. Hope that doesn't interfere with your cuddling. ;)

Woohoo! hope it all goes smoothly.

Natalie R. said...

That's so exciting, good luck with the carpeting!! I can't wait to see the finished product soon!!!

I hope the carpet guy enjoyed Aida. ;0)