Friday, August 6, 2010

Sequim

We were in Seattle during Sequim's Lavender Festival. (Did you know there were so many awesome festivals in the Great Northwest?) Apparently Sequim (which is pronounced like "Squim") has perfect conditions for growing the best lavender outside of France. It's an odd patch of land near the mountains that manages to avoid most of the normal Seattle rainfall, so it's pretty sunny and really close to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. (And for all you Twilight fans out there, it's really close to Port Angeles.)

I don't love big crowds and I figured it would just be rough on the kids, so we opted to go see the lavender a couple days after the actual festival. We had lunch at the Chimacum Cafe on the way, and then enjoyed walking around the fields of lavender and breathing in the fragrant air! It was lovely!

At the Purple Haze Farm. (Is that a drug reference?)
Look at all that purple! So pretty!!!


It looks like Bentley is smelling the lavender, but I think he's actually looking at a bumble bee...


Artsy shots, courtesy of Craig. I really like these.




I want a hammock swing just like this some day.


We're eating lavender ice cream, which is actually really good!
Think vanilla with bits of white chocolate and lavender.
Yum.


They also kept a few chickens and peacocks at this farm.
Kendra was thrilled.


Overlooking the sandspit. I love water.


Looking straight across, you can just barely see Canada. My mom wanted to sing "Oh, Canada!" but I made her stop. I like my own country too much to bother singing about Canada.


Is there anything prettier? The sun was sparkling off the water just perfectly.


There you have it! Next time you buy anything lavender-scented, see if it came from Sequim!

2 comments:

Laresa said...

You are looking wonderful!

Nicole said...

hey, i've actually heard of sequim. alex looked briefly at a company located there. i thought it sounded like a fantastic place, and oh look, i was right. :)