Saturday, August 7, 2010

Seattle Mariners

On a Monday evening, we went to a Mariner's game with my parents. It was family night, so the tickets were fairly cheap. And based on this, I can only surmise that the Mariners are secretly a Mormon team, right? Anyway, both of my kids have been to baseball games before (poor Bentley's first baseball experience was at Yankee Stadium when he was about 8 months old, but we won't hold that against him!), but this was the first time going that they were old enough to have much of a concept of what was happening, which meant it was a lot more fun for all of us! I loved holding Bentley on my lap and pointing out Ichiro to him and explaining that the guys in white were the good guys and we cheer when they run around the bases. So much easier than trying to keep him from chucking binkies at the people sitting in front of us, which mostly what I remember doing during his first ball game (for Yankees fans, everyone was very gracious about that; it was after we left that people began throwing beer bottles and my whole family decided to call it quits, too. Boo on the Yankees).

It was also Craig's first time to get to go to Safeco Field, so I was excited to show it all off to him, too! (Random bit of trivia: when Safeco Field was built and named, my Dad was working for Safeco! I still think that's cool.) Craig also got to experience garlic fries for the first time. Wow.

Here's me (obviously) on the ferry ride over. Behind me is Bainbridge Island, my home.
Don't you love those trees towering over all the houses?



And the same shot, but with Craig.
If you zoom in, you can barely make out Seattle peaking out behind Bainbridge.


Love this picture. Perfect summary of what I love about baseball.


Kendra pulling one of her many silly faces. This girl is becoming quite the clown.


Kendra was as amused by Bentley as by the game. But it's a start!


Partway through the game, Craig decided to find out if the kids could meet the Mariner Moose (who they kept referring to as the Deer. Oh, well). I never would have thought of this, but it turned out they had a Moose's Den just for this purpose! So we dashed around the stadium and made it there just in time for the last meeting, during the top of the seventh inning! And we even made it back to our seats in time for the seventh inning stretch!

I wish I could tell you about the awesome win the Mariners pulled off, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. So instead, I'll share this video of Ichiro so you, too, can appreciate how great he is.



You gotta love these guys!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I think all baseball parks have a "family night" of some sort. At least Dodger Stadium and Kauffman Stadium (Kansas City) did.

Nicole said...

i've always thought bainbridge island sounded like a cool place, but i've never actually seen a picture of it from the water. it looks beautiful.

Natalie R. said...

I'm glad you got to catch a game while you were in Seattle, yay Mariners!! I can't wait to take Caleb and Samuel to the moose's den sometime!