Sunday, January 24, 2010

Optimism

So has anyone else been excited about afternoon church solely for the purpose of utilizing your crock pot? Because that's the one big advantage that I can see to this day where my children don't get to nap...

This morning, I made minestrone soup, which is one of my favorite crock pot recipes. I'm already excited to come home from church this afternoon! I figured I would share this recipe with you. I hope you like it, too!


Forgotten Minestrone, makes 8 servings
1 lb. beef stewing meat
6 cups water
28-oz. can tomatoes, diced, undrained (I use petite diced)
1 beef bouillon cube
1 med. onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. minced dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 med. zucchini, thinly sliced
2 cups finely chopped cabbage (I always skip this-- I'm too lazy....)
16-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
1 cup uncooked small elbow (I use small shells-- macaroni noodles seem so childish!)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Combine beef, water, tomatoes, bouillon, onion, parsley, salt, thyme, and pepper.
2. Cover. Cook on low 7-9 hours, or until meat is tender.
3. Stir in zucchini, cabbage, beans, and macaroni. Cover and cook on high 30-45 min., or until vegetables are tender.
4. Sprinkle individual servings with parmesan cheese.

I also like to get a couple loaves of Pillsbury dough French bread. I cook one for the first day, and save the other for the next day's leftovers.

So easy, and so yummy. And so "all the work is done now so when we come home dinner will be ready and I won't have to do a thing!" The best of all worlds.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I love afternoon church because we are not morning people at my house. And because of crock pot cooking, except I realized last night that in my menu planning I had failed to take into account afternoon church and a crock pot recipe so I made enchiladas before church and refrigerated them so we still go to eat at 5PM. I would try your recipe except my kids keep reminding me that they "HATE soup."

Natalie R. said...

Yeah, we used a crock pot almost every Sunday after moving to Hershey (we have eternal afternoon church here). But we haven't used it in a while...something about too many smells in the apartment has been bothering me the last few months!

Natalie R. said...

P.S. We tried your minestrone soup before I was pregnant, and it was incredible!!

delilas said...

Sounds wonderful! Dinner next week, yeah, Thanks for sharing.

Andrea said...

I may try it next Sunday, too.

I love afternoon church for several reasons (crock pot cooking is one of them).

The biggest reason, though is that my now NON napping daughter is with someone else during her "typical" cranky time of day--and she's never cranky for her nursery leaders!! Win-Win!