Friday, January 29, 2010

Things You Can't Live Without (Once You Have Them)

Have you noticed that there are certain things that, once you have them, it's impossible to get by without them? And once you're used to having them, you wonder how on earth you survived without them in the first place. How did they become so completely indispensable so quickly? It's kind of amazing, really.

Anyway, here are some of those things that I believe are like that, either from personal experience or from what I've heard from people lucky enough to have them:

Cell Phone: It was cell phones that got me started on this list, actually, when I realized that I don't feel safe driving without one anymore. I used to. I drove for probably ten years without a cell phone. But now suddenly it feels like a bad idea. And while I'm on the topic, how do you ever meet up with anyone in a public place without a cell phone? How did people do it back in the day? Did they just plan better? How?

Boppy Pillow: this is only if you're nursing, which I am not right now (thank goodness for that). When Kendra was born I didn't use the boppy for a while, and ended up giving myself a sore back. Once I figured out the reason, I used that thing religiously. It's a life (and back) saver.

Craig: I assume everyone feels this way about their spouse. At least, I hope so. But in my case, I have to point out that Craig is better than anyone else I know at keeping me both sane and happy. He has a gift for it, which I appreciate.

Bentley: for someone who didn't even exist a few years ago, it's sort of weird when I realize how much this kid means to me. Just now we were sitting and discussing the merit of having eyes on one's bottom. He's almost got me convinced that this would be a good idea... What did I do with myself before he came onto the scene?

Kendra: no, I certainly couldn't leave Kendra off this list, either. And I'm sorry if this just feels cheesy or clichéd to you or whatever, but it's really true about one's children. You get by just fine without them, and then as soon as they pop into your life, suddenly you have no concept of ever not having had them... It's completely weird, but in a perfect sort of way.

Internet: surviving without reliable internet for a couple years was near torture. But when I think back to the days not that many years ago when internet wasn't even a concept, it sort of blows my mind. How did people find restaurants or do research or get directions to places? It must have been such hard work...

Caller ID
: it's also hard to remember what it must have been like to answer the phone with NO IDEA who was on the other end. Doesn't that almost sounds like the beginnings of a horror movie now? Like something bad that parents would warn their children against?

Call Waiting: what if talking on the phone too long just meant that you would miss anyone else who tried to call you? I can't even imagine that kind of pressure! It must have been horrible when you're in your prime dating years and your roommate is hogging the phone and you could potentially be missing calls from members of the opposite sex!

King-sized bed (probably): I survive with a queen, but I would imagine this is one of those things that is very hard to downsize from. It's hard to stop sprawling in your sleep once you've gotten used to it. And by the same token, I doubt Craig and I could squeeze onto a double or a full-sized mattress now...

HD TV (or so I've heard): the people I've talked to all say that once you get used to HD, regular TV just looks ugly. I guess that's reason #2 for me for why to not ever switch over in the first place-- heaven forbid I let myself become even snobbier than I already am!

Remote Controls for cars (clickers!): does anyone else think it takes FOREVER long to unlock a car with the key now? Who has that kind of time any more?!

Actually, remote controls for anything: seriously, getting up just to turn down the volume? What a drag.

Any square foot of living space you currently possess: each time Craig and I move, our first reaction to our new place is, "It's so much bigger!" And then usually within a matter of hours, we're wondering how we'll possibly fit here much longer. How does anyone ever survive a downsize?

Garbage Disposal: we didn't have one of these growing up and I never thought much about it. But since having one, it's like I don't know how to do dishes without knowing that any muck still left on the plates can just be eaten by the garbage disposal. Seriously, how did that used to work? I don't remember our kitchen sink getting clogged up, so I'm sure we got all the gunk out each day, but gross!


So those are my thoughts on the matter. Any to add of your own?

6 comments:

Jen Evans said...

Yes to everything(sub your family's names for mine), except the HD tv. I think it makes everything a little too real, like I'm watching a home video.

I also think it would be hard to go from 2 cars to 1. Or heaven forbid, 1 car to NO CAR. What would we do?

Liz said...

HD TV scares me!! I like regular TV much better.

Yes, good people in our lives are things we couldn't live without ...

But getting back to technology, I have to add Google and in particular, Google Maps. Mapping is one thing I would be much less happy without. Also, online bill pay is nice too!

As for cell phones ... I like them, but I do kinda miss the planning that went into meeting people before cell phones though. I liked the secret-agent feeling of setting up a meeting point and then getting there! Now it's all "Hey I'll call whenever I'm close." So not as exciting.

Nancy said...

I've thought the same thing about cell phones and the internet. Especially now that my kids are now old enough to have a firm concept of these things. For instance, my kids don't remember what a regular phone ring sounds like because we've had only cell phones for the past 4+ years. And they are totally obsessed with the internet... for any new thing they discover, they want to see if it has a website. And along with internet, how did we ever survive without email?? I still stand by my stance that I'd be way closer to my high school friends now if they'd had email addresses when I left for college. They didn't, and we snail mailed for awhile, but that can only go on for so long.

Shaun R. said...

The downsizing issue is a huge deal for my residents in the retirement home. Sometimes the marketing director will go to their house and measure their furniture to help them decide on a few favorite pieces that they can bring to their new accommodations.

I myself have been thinking about moving out of my 2 br 2 ba apartment just to have my own place and not have to share. Problem is at the rate I'm paying I could only afford a small studio and the thought of living in one room makes me stir crazy just thinking about it. But really, I'm a single guy. What do I need beyond a bedroom and kitchen?

As far as my blackberry, I'm ready to downsize I think. I feel way too connected. I look forward to the day I can give it to the person who replaces me at my job.

ugkuyg said...

We got a GPS for christmas a couple years ago and I can't live without it. Now I remember when I had to look up directions on mapquest and print them out, and I laugh.

And same story with my family and the garbage disposal. Except I'm pretty sure we had one but my mom thought it would clog if we used it so we weren't allowed to. And I do remember cleaning out the little food catcher over the drain every day. So gross. Oh how I love my garbage disposal.

Natalie R. said...

That's a very good list. The one thing I would add is a washer and dryer in your apartment/house. Having it in the same building was a big luxury in NYC, but it's awfully nice not to have to leave the apt. now! :0)