Saturday, January 30, 2010

That Time Again

I now have a couch in my kitchen. I'm not sure which is worse about this-- the fact that it's just plain weird to have a couch crammed into one's kitchen (and it really is crammed; I can't open the cupboards that it's pushed up against), or the fact that Craig thinks that's an awesome place to keep it. I think he's envisioning sacking out on the couch after work and watching me cook dinner for him. 'Cuz that's gonna happen...

Anyway, in case you didn't already guess, we have officially started working on the rec room.
Up to this point, this room has sported the darkest wood paneling imaginable, making it feel like a very dark cave, except less homey. Craig has removed a couple sections of this paneling and discovered lighter wood paneling underneath it, and then the cinder blocks. But no insulation. Hmmm.
Craig also pulled up one corner of the carpet, revealing linoleum underneath that is meant to look like dark wooden tiles. Apparently whoever chose the paneling and the linoleum never got that tree house they wanted so badly as a kid.

Craig also found some wiring that is being held together with electrical tape. So let's make that a tree house that you're secretly hoping to burn down, but on accident. Perhaps this was all meant to be an insurance scam?

In any case, I have the feeling that this couch is going to be in my kitchen for a while.

This will effectively cancel any plans of entertaining that I may have even been considering. Fortunately, I don't have parties very often, so this isn't much of a sacrifice. But if you do find yourself at my home for whatever reason, please try not to laugh too openly at the current state of things. It's really not my fault. Instead, try to be impressed with the fact that I helped Craig carry the couch up the stairs. What I lack in homemaking skills, I try to make up for with sheer grunt work!



P.S. to my fellow Manass-assassins: I hope someone out there is enjoying this snow. How worthless is it for it to snow on a Saturday?!?!

4 comments:

Anna said...

Oh wow! I wish your family the best as you guys tackle the basement. (But, Alanna, you don't like feeling like you live in a tree house??)

Natalie R. said...

Wow, I have a feeling that that's a bigger job than Craig was anticipating! Good luck with it for both of you. And as far as entertaining, I hope you'll still be willing to entertain a certain sister in a couple of weeks???

Jen Evans said...

I like Manass-assassins. I haven't heard that one. You're welcome to play at my house now that our plague is over! I have deep sympathy for wood-paneled basements, and those who want to destroy them.

Alanna said...

Jen, I'm glad you like Manass-assassins. I thought I was hilarious with that one, and when Craig read it he gave me that, "you are so weird I can barely handle it" look. Someone else gets my sense of humor, at least! And yes, we'll probably be inviting ourselves over to play very soon... Thanks!