Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Dreaded New Year's Resolution

For several years now, I have enjoyed not making New Year's Resolutions. I hate them, I never stick to them, and I always figured that if there was something I needed to change about myself (and when isn't there at least something that I ought to be working towards?), there was no point in putting it off until January to do it. So I just didn't bother with resolutions.

But this year-- and hopefully only this year!-- it's different. At least, a little bit. A few weeks before Ryder was born, I realized that I was going to have an awful lot of weight to lose after he made his appearance, and I was going to be trying to do this during the holidays. That seemed about as cheery as an ingrown toenail, so I decided I wouldn't even think about my weight until after the holidays. And believe me, I have enjoyed myself immensely in the food department. Just to ring in the New Year, Craig and I made cookies, fudge, and chocolate peanut butter fondue, complete with Rice Krispie treats, angelfood cake, and a host of other things for dipping. (We did have bananas, too. That's healthy, right?) And that was just the stuff that obviously fell into the "dessert" category. And it was all delicious.

But now that the holidays are over, all that ends. So I have effectively saddled myself with a New Year's Resolution, even though I hate those. But I guess I hate diets, too, so why not combine the two?

I keep meaning to come up with Rules for my Eating that will help me lose weight, but every time I started to think about it, I fall asleep. (I told Craig this yesterday and I've never seen him laugh so hard. How is that funny?) So instead, I'm asking for your help: what are your most successful weight loss strategies? Lay 'em on me!

The time to start shedding these baby pounds has officially begun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always brush my teeth when the girls go to bed. Then I won't eat anything the rest of the evening.

Tracy said...

Joe and I signed up for a couple of races in March and April-hopefully that will give me motivation to get my booty in gear. :) You can sign up to-its only an 8 and 10k. As for dieting-is anorexia that bad? JK, mostly. :)

Anna said...

There's a simple diet that I did a while ago that seemed to work; you eat only fruit (preferably fresh, or course) from when you wake up until lunch. Not constantly but if you get hungry, eat fruit and drink water. Then you have a regular/healthy lunch, drink water, for a snack, some fruit, more water, then a regular ol' dinner (best to be on the healthy side, of course) and then after like, 7 in the evening, if you get hungry, drink water. I did that for about a month or two and that's when people started coming up to me in church commenting on how I looked like I lost weight. It may have also been due to the fact that Aaron was getting to be way more mobile I was moving more myself to keep up with him, but who knows. :) Anyway, there's my diet suggestion. Good luck!

delilas said...

You are still eating for two so I would recommend not to worry too much about a "diet" until after you slow down on your lactation. Maybe my body is different, while nursing my body didn't hold onto any fat it went all into the milk and my baby. Oh, to be lactating again.

Natalie R. said...

I agree with Delilas - don't worry about how much you eat right now, because you should be eating a lot still. I would just make sure you cut out as much chocolate as you reasonably can without going crazy. ;0)