Monday, July 25, 2011

Heat Wave vs. Running: 1-0

Sometimes, the stars just don't align properly for you to go running.

I went last week on Monday, and ran the farthest I've managed yet: 1.9 miles. I was kind of exhilarated and had high hopes of finally making it to 2 miles that week. But then the heat wave hit. With temperatures in the low 100s, and humidity that made it feel like 120, it really seemed like a bad idea to even try, unless I could make it out the door by 6:00am or something. But Thursday the kids let me sleep until 9:00 and I had a friend coming at 10:30, so that was out. And then Saturday was Craig's birthday, so I figured it was more important that I get up with the kids and let Craig sleep in rather than abandoning them all for my run.

So I was bound and determined to make up for it this week, starting today. But then Ryder was up at 1:00am AND 4:30am. I have no idea why. But I didn't mange to drag myself out of bed until 8:45, by which time Craig had made oatmeal for us and then I needed to feed Ryder and put him down for a nap. I didn't even leave the house until after ten. And by then the temperature was 88 with a humidity pushing it to feel like 99. It was my shortest run, and it consisted of the most walking. Even walking downhill after a substantial break, I was panting and sweating so much that it didn't even seem safe to try and push myself back into a slow jog.

So I'm home. And a little disappointed in myself. Tomorrow I'll have to actually get out of bed early, regardless of how Ryder sleeps. There are just too many excuses out there!

They're predicting thunder showers tonight. Maybe I can go running in the rain.

4 comments:

ugkuyg said...

way to go on the running!
I've heard the heat is just terrible out there, it does not sound fun. Bleh I hate humidity!

Natalie R. said...

Not running last week was not an excuse, it was sanity. If you had forced yourself to run in the heat, you may have ended up needing to be rehydrated by iv fluids - not a good idea. I'm glad that you were being smart, but I also hope that the rain storms cool things off so you can try again tomorrow. :0)

Natalie R. said...

P.S. The word verification I just had was "prove" - I actually got a real word!!! I thought you would like to know. :0)

Nancy said...

You were braver than me, I didn't even attempt to run today. Tomorrow's temperature's look more promising.