Thursday, July 21, 2011

So Long And Thanks For All the Fish

Back in March, Bentley became obsessed with tiger sharks. (He has also been obsessed with killer whales, bats, wolves, bees, and crocodiles so far. We get a lot of interesting books from the library about each of these animals!) During this time, he kept telling me that he wanted to go to the ocean so he could see a tiger shark. I couldn't manage to convince him that it would take more than just a trip to the ocean to see one, so finally I figured out that the Baltimore Aquarium had tiger sharks, and I promised to take him there. Some day. I'd had hopes of doing it during spring break, but that didn't happen. So we pushed it off until summer.

And then we looked up the ticket prices and nearly reneged on our promise. $25 for an adult and $20 per child! Whoa? But a promise is a promise. And it's not like it would get any easier to go, so we finally found a day that wasn't too busy and put it on the calendar.

I will say: it was expensive, but it was also WAY cool. I'm glad we went. We probably won't make it there again for a very long time, but I sure am glad we went!

I'm going to break one of my cardinal rules and post lots of pictures of the fish. Usually I figure no one is interested in pictures of stuff they could undoubtedly find better pictures of by simply doing a Google Images search. But in this case, I can't resist the urge to do the "We saw this! This close up!!!" kind of bragging. Forgive me. And enjoy all the cool fish!



Craig carried Ryder the. entire. time. What a man!


See the skeleton of a fin whale? Not as impressive as the blue whale at the Museum of Natural History. But not far behind, either!


We could have watched the pool full of rays for hours.


Love the tiny striped fish hiding in the spines of the sea urchin


I absolutely fell in love with that tiny yellow and purple fish. Have you ever seen such colors?



Carrying an empty carrier while Craig carried a sleeping Ryder in his arms. Poor sleep-deprived baby!


That big green strip is an eel. Eeew...


Bentley was in heaven. And look at how big those things are compared to my kids!



A sawtooth shark.



This giant sea turtle is named Calypso. The poor thing is missing a flipper, but she was still pretty impressive!


Feeding time for all the rays and the sea turtle


Scuba diver feeding lettuce to Calypso.
You kind of get a better of big this sea turtle is with him next to her like that.


Me with the dolphins!!!


As creepy as jellyfish are, I think this picture that Craig took is stunningly beautiful.


A lionfish (shouldn't this be called a zebrafish?)


It absolutely poured while we were inside. We picked a great day to go!


Leaving at the end of the day. Bentley was starving and couldn't pause from stuffing crackers into his mouth to smile. It must be tough having absolutely no body fat...

We had a great time. If you've got a hot, rainy summer day to kill and a hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket, I cannot recommend this place enough!

6 comments:

Jen Evans said...

I love love love that the kids are wearing their orca shirts. Fabulous pictures!!

Patrice said...

Wonderful photos!! Look at those turtle heads-can you see why I was frightened when one surfaced near me in the ocean??

ugkuyg said...

I LOVED the baltimore aquarium, despite how expensive it was. Glad you guys got to go!

Oneup said...

That song is just about the only thing I saw from that movie, but it has been playing through my head for the better part of about 3 years now. Why??? Needless to say, I enjoyed that it has evidently to some extent stuck with someone else.

Liz said...

You totally have to go to the Cal Academy up in San Fran when you're here! If I suck and don't have time, see if you can convince Leah to go. The SF Aquarium is ok, and has some really cool jellyfish at the beginning and a neat walk-under viewing tank, but is pretty small overall. If you ever get to Monterey you MUST go to the aquarium there. Promise!

Nicole said...

i love aquariums. i'm actually not overly interested in sea life, but those places just seem to pull me in. it looks like you all had a great outing!