Wednesday, October 12, 2011

First Talk

Bentley (who-- did I mention?-- turned 5 a few weeks ago! One of these days I'll put up pictures from his birthday, I promise!!!) finally got to give his first talk in primary! True to form, we wrote it out the morning that he gave it. With only a little bit of prompting from me, he dictated what he wanted to say to me, and I wrote (most of) it down. Here is what we ended up with:

"Missionaries can teach the gospel where Jesus tells them to. I hope that I can be a missionary in Africa some day, but I'll go to where Heavenly Father wants me to go. It will be beautiful teaching the gospel some day. I will even try to teach bad guys. I know that our Savior is Jesus. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

I thought he came up with a pretty dang good talk! And I didn't even tell him to say the bit about Africa or the bit about bad guys (which made me want to cry with laughter, I loved it so much). If we would have had more time to practice, I'm sure he could have memorized it, but with everything else going on that morning (and doing it on my own, because Craig almost always has meetings before church), it just wasn't feasible. Primary met in the chapel, getting ready for the primary program, so Bentley delivered his talk from the podium, and even managed to speak clearly into the microphone. I was very proud of my little boy!

Now we have to get cracking memorizing his one line for the primary program. I have high hopes that maybe this year he'll actually say it!

4 comments:

Patrice said...

Bentley's talk sounded so wonderful. I wish I could have been there to hear him!! I'm so glad he is enjoying kindergarten! Do you suppose that he has listened to you speak of going to Africa and that is why he thought of it??

Rachael said...

That is hilarious about teaching bad guys, too! He definitely sounds like your son, wanting to serve in Africa. :) I'm very impressed with the talk he came up with!

cms87 said...

I know that, that Sunday was so crazy, sorry about that, but Bentley was great!!! I can't believe that was his first talk! It seems like Spencer has given 20. . . I guess Spencer volunteers a lot. :o)

Natalie R. said...

What a great talk, good job Bentley! I think it was the same Sunday that Samuel gave the scripture. This was his second time doing that, but the first time he actually did it! It was a big day for the cousins! :0)