Saturday, October 1, 2011

Wasting Time

So I made it a goal this week to not waste quite so much time reading blogs. I love reading people's blogs, but I tend to get obsessive about it. I'll check Google Reader multiple time throughout the day to see if there's anything new. And if I find a new blog that I like, I'll begin reading it backwards like some reverse chronological autobiography. Or if-- heaven forbid!-- someone includes a link in their blog post, I'll have to read that, which usually will have other interesting-looking links, too, and suddenly I've spent an hour just reading blogs and random articles.

So my goal was to read all blogs before I took Bentley to school, and then be done with them for the day. That seemed pretty reasonable to me. And I mostly stuck with it (except Friday, when there were a LOT of new blog posts and not nearly enough time to get through them all).

But instead, I ended up sitting around reading backlogs of Dear Abby.

Seriously, what is wrong with me? Does that say something really bad about you if you enjoy reading about other people's problems so much? There's nothing quite like reading about a really nasty boss/husband/parent/in-law/child/neighbor/random stranger/sibling to make you appreciate the people in your life a whole lot more! And I have to admit, I almost always respect Dear Abby's responses. It's not easy to take some of these nut jobs and give them really good advice in just four or five sentences! I wish someone would do an exit survey and find out how many people actually listen to her (my guess is that 90% of the people she tells to walk away from their horrid relationships never do. But maybe I'm too pessimistic).

So that's what I've been doing this week. Reading Dear Abby a lot. And also exercising-- I hit my aerobics class both days, and managed to run two miles three other days. I went to Young Women's on Tuesday and Book Club on Thursday. I made orange rolls this morning before Conference. I kept my house reasonably clean. I got Bentley to and from school every day. I didn't strangle him any of the times when he began yelling at me over stupid things like whether or not he needed to wear a sweatshirt to school. We celebrated my father-in-law's birthday with him. I heard incredibly happy news about two different friends on Thursday and got to be really excited for them (one adopted a baby, the other is this close to being cancer free!)... A lot's been going on. And in between all that, much Dear Abby was read!

Next week I'll make it my goal to find something interesting to blog about!

4 comments:

Anne said...

Wow! That's a super successful week! I'm impressed with all the exercising, etc. you did! How do you exercise? Do you take your kids with you? Or go when Craig's home? Finding time to do it is my biggest challenge to exercising....Love to hear your tips!

Patrice said...

Having read about your wasting of time, I have a suggestion: Take up golf. From your father.

Rachael said...

Haha not surprised by Dad's suggestion! I'm impressed by your discipline, even if it did lead to more Dear Abby (which I agree is definitely interesting to read)!

Natalie R. said...

Ha ha, that's funny. I try really hard to keep the computer/iPod off most of the time when the kids are around so I don't totally ignore them, but I'm not super good at it... I was especially bad when I had 20 episodes of Angel left and was planning on ending our Netflix subscription in 16 days. I'm kind of embarrassed by how much Angel I watched in those 16 days so I could finish it up!!