Friday, August 22, 2008

It's Sweeter on the Right

So did the title of my post fool you? Did you think it was a political commentary? Or did you think it was my own take on the Church's CTR theme? Huh? Because it's neither of those!!! Bwa ha ha! I'm actually referring to the fact that approximately 66% of mosquitoes prefer my right leg to my left! I don't know what the difference is, but there are enough bites on both legs to support this claim. I think my poll is more in-depth than your average political poll. I could probably pass as a leper. It's so gross. I've even started putting cover-up on the bites before church in hopes that my Laurel class won't be so distracted with my disgusting legs that they don't hear a word I'm saying. (Yes, yes, I suppose I could just wear nylons, but it's Virginia, it's hot and it's humid. And besides, I think nylons were invented by Satan.) Every time we go to the new house, I end up with at least one more bite. Yesterday, we just stopped by for two minutes so Craig could figure out how many new tiles we needed to buy for the bathroom (98, + 17 border tiles) and as I was climbing back into the car, there was a mosquito on my (right) leg! Ergh! How are they that fast and that sneaky?

But now the real question is: where do you think I could get some black market DDT??? California condors be darned-- somehow I will find a way to kill off those mosquitoes before I move in to my new home!

* * * * *

So on a more serious note: I just did a google search on DDT, and found a page for African American Environmentalist Association working to lift the ban on DDT because it would help save millions of Africans who die of malaria. That's something I never thought about before... I wonder who your average liberal would be rooting for on this one: an African child or a bald eagle? Someone should ask Angelina Jolie what she thinks!

1 comment:

Natalie R. said...

I feel your pain with the mosquitos - they ate us alive in Grenada!!! Ugh, it was horrible there.

I think one of Cameron's professors actually spoke about how badly they need DDT in Africa (he was a parasitologist). It's really sad, isn't it, that people are so oblivious.