Saturday, September 6, 2008

Firsts

We've had a few "firsts" in our family during the last 24 hours, so I feel the need to tell everyone about them. We'll do this chronologically, since I can't think of any way that makes more sense than that...

The first and most obvious first is that Craig finished his first week of school! YAAAAAAAY for Craig! Only a whole bunch left to go. But I'm very proud of the good work Craig does teaching.

The next one, then, is that last night, Bentley slept in his "big boy" bed for the first time! (I don't know why it has to be a "big boy" bed, but it just is. Ask anyone who's gone through this process...) Yup, until now he's been in a crib, and honestly that's worked so well I sort of hated to change it at all. But since we'll be moving soon (IN THREE WEEKS!!!), it made sense to me to get him used to a bed first. I didn't want to overwhelm him by putting him in a new room and in a bed all at the same time. And I didn't want to have to take the crib apart to move it, only to do it again a month later when Kendra inherited it and we needed to move it into her room (it won't fit through the doorway when it's assembled). And besides all that, I realized after the fact that it's better to do all this now while he's got carpet under the bed, as opposed to the hardwood floors in his new bedroom, just in case he manages to fall out.

So we finally did it last night. Of course, the whole thing was a huge process for Craig and I. The twin-sized bed is actually part of a bunkbed set that Craig had as a kid, so we changed the headboard out for the top bunk piece, which has a bar that goes along the side. We figured that might keep him from falling out, since Bentley moves a ton in his sleep. But then we were worried that he could get stuck under the bar, so I stuffed a bunch of pillows there. And then I put all our couch pillows on the floor under it all, just in case. Who says first-time parents worry too much?

After all that prep-work, the actual event of having Bentley sleep in his bed went surprisingly well. He cried when we first put him there, and then again about twenty minutes later, so Craig went and tucked him in once more. And after that he slept just great! And right now he's napping there, so I think this is as smooth a transition as I could have hoped for. I'm afraid the blinds to the window right next to the bed are suffering a bit, but if that's the biggest problem from all this, then I think we can still count ourselves lucky.

The next first is my own-- I actually intentionally drove below the speed limit on the freeway today. Gasp! In my defense, it was pouring rain beyond even what my little Seattle-self is used to, and since I was driving the Saturn, it seemed prudent. I think I went 45 the entire time, and even that felt like pushing my luck on occasion. Whew! But I did make it home safe and sound, so no worries! For those of you who have heard about our Stake musical, this morning was the first rehearsal. It was a bit weird going since they haven't actually cast any parts yet, but the rehearsal managed to be worthwhile despite that fact, so I was glad I went. If by some chance I manage to get a speaking part, I'll give you a heads up later!

Our final first comes from Kendra who has (drumroll, please) finally figured out how to roll from her tummy onto her back! She's been going from her back to her tummy for ages now, but today was the first time I could see her consistently going back and forth between the two, and it was a lot of fun watching her go. She was dressed in sleepers (this rain has really cooled things down), and so she was fascinated with her toes and kept grabbing at them and rolling back and forth. So fun! And it always cracks me up to see how much babies can move around on the floor just by rolling a bit-- she made some good distance that way!

So that's my update for now. I'll try to download some pictures next.

1 comment:

Natalie R. said...

How exciting, those are great firsts! Is Kendra still rolling? How has Bentley adjusted to his new bed?? That sounds great!