Monday, September 22, 2008

Just When You Thought Life Couldn't Get Much Crazier...

... it throws a sprained ankle your way!

At least, that's Craig's diagnosis: swollen, hurts to put weight on it. Yeah, how ridiculous is this?

It all started with me trying to do too much. I was carrying Kendra's bumper set (which I have never unpacked and am looking forward to finally using once we move) down the stairs, along with a change of clothes for Craig, and planning to run right back up again and grab as much of the contents of Bentley's closet as I could carry to take to the house, thus saving myself a box or two of packing and unpacking. But as I was coming down the stairs, I somehow managed to trip right at the end. I'm still not entirely sure what went wrong-- I know that the diaper bag was on the bottom step and I was trying to decide if I should step to the side of it or just step over it, and somehow it got all messed up and before I knew it I was slammed against the gate kneeling haphazardly and awkwardly on top of the diaper bag. One of those horrid moments that takes your breath away AND hurts, but before I could even catch my breath again, both the kids started crying so I had to take care of them. Apparently watching mommy fall down the stairs is scary.

Anyway, No big deal, was all I thought at the time. Okay, that's not entirely true-- it hurt and I was annoyed, but I was walking around just fine, so I wasn't exactly worried or anything. I got the kids and the bumper set in the car, we headed to the house, and we got to work. I was smart enough to not try to do the heavy cleaning I'd planned to do, and instead opted for sitting in a chair screwing hinges back onto the cupboard doors (they're almost all hung again and my kitchen is starting to look very kitcheny!).

Three hours later I realized that I had a problem because the pain had gradually gotten worse and suddenly I could barely walk.

So, yeah, it looks like I've got a sprained ankle. First time, for what it's worth. (Yeah, not much. I know.) Could my timing possibly be any worse? Anyway, I'm home now, and the kids are in bed (thanks to Tom and Donna). So my job for tonight is to ice and wrap and hope this heals as fast as possible. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Laresa said...

Don't do things like that! Seriously, I hope it heals up fast and that the kids are as cooperative as kids can be :).

Patrice said...

Hope your ankle feels better in the morning-keep icing!! Do what you can and then let people help!!

Good luck with the move!

love,
MOM

Natalie R. said...

Oh man, that totally sucks!!! I'm really sorry, I'll pray for a quick heal!